If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Lha over 35 with pip

Options
ronaldo89
ronaldo89 Community member Posts: 21 Listener
Hi all just looking for some advise please.

I have recently been accepted for pip, I currently get universal credit and claim for housing element. I get the shared accommodation rate which isn't much as I am 34. My landlord notified me recently that the rent will be increasing

I turn 35 soon, so will I get the 1 bedroom self contained rate (this would cover the difference with the rent increase) or do you automatically get it if you get pip? Never been in this situation before

Thanks in advance

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,208 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA when under 35 if your PIP includes the daily living part. It's not automatically paid so you will need to tell UC that you're now claiming PIP, which includes the daily living part. It will be backdated the assessment period in which your PIP started. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ronaldo89
    Options
    Thanks poppy for the quick reply. I get the daily living rate aswell. Am I entitled to the 1 bedroom rate before my rent prices go up or just when I show tenancy agreement with rent increase amount. Thanks again
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You will be entitled to the 1 bedroom rare from the start of your PIP award. However, if your current housing element covers the whole of your rent then you won't be able to claim for more than your rent liability. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ronaldo89
    Options
    Thanks poppy you are so helpful I really appreciate your replys. Thanks for the information 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're very welcome and thank you too!
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.