SDP backdated for five years

GoingslightlyMAD
GoingslightlyMAD Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited August 22 in Benefits and income

Hello everyone, it's been great to be part of a supportive community.

I know this question is asked a lot on here, and there are loads of people over the years who have experienced the same problem. But, I haven't seen anyone ask about this in 2024. I would like to ask if anyone has had recent experience (2024) of backdated Severe Disability Premium? I got an IS10 form out of the blue recently and only then became aware that I should have been getting SDP for at least five years.

If anyone has any recent experience of this, I would particularly like to know how long it took for the weekly payment to start and how long it took to receive the lump sum?

I appreciate this is a question that has been asked many times, so many apologies for the repetition. However, going through the forums it seems this has not been anyone's experience this year, hence why I would like to know the latest likely waiting times.

Thank you all :)๐Ÿ˜

Tagged:

Comments

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @GoingslightlyMAD and welcome to the community.

I've just moved your post to our benefits category where hopefully someone will be able to to share their experience ๐Ÿ˜Š

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing

Usually a few weeks for payments to start (if entitled) if you ring to claim it rather than send the form back. Longer if you fill out the form.

It may take longer if money is owed for 5 years because they will need to check back that far before a decision is made.

• GoingslightlyMAD

Thanks for your friendly welcome Rachel. Thanks also for your quick and helpful reply Poppy. I'm afraid I sent the form back physically about a month ago so it may take longer. Intriguingly, the IS10 form had dated my claim from 2019. So, I think you may be right that it will take a while for the back payment.

I think I'm right in saying, as you have mentioned in other forums, that it may be the case that the money will go into my account before I get the SDP letter (assuming I am entitled, but having checked the eligibility criteria, I should be) ๐Ÿ˜€

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing

You're welcome. Other forums? I'm only a member of one other.

• GoingslightlyMAD

My apologies, that was a bit vague of me. By 'other forums' I meant other discussions on this forum. Thanks again for your help. I will post when, and indeed if, I have any updates from DWP, which will hopefully help others who may be facing the same pleasant surprise/problem as I am.

• GoingslightlyMAD

Just an update as promised. I have now received both the backdated lump sum of SDP and confirmation that I will receive the weekly SDP payment going forward.

Here's the timescale I experienced:

After receiving the IS10 form out of the blue, I sent it off the next day with First Class Recorded Delivery.

I received an unannounced telephone call six weeks later from a case worker at the DWP (with their 0800 number appearing on my phone) who needed me to confirm that I live by myself. After assuring them that I do, they were able to confirm I was eligible for the weekly SDP but any backdated payment over ยฃ2,000 had to go to the auditing team for approval.

One week after later, I was contacted by the same DWP case worker to confirm that the auditing team had approved the SDP back payment and that I would receive this lump sum in my bank account within three working days. They were also able to confirm that my weekly SDP payment would now begin.

Three days later, I received the back payment of SDP as promised and am now waiting for the letter both confirming the amount awarded and that it is a capital disregard due to official DWP error. This letter was sent second-class post and so I was advised it can take up to a week to receive it.

So, overall, the process from receiving the IS10 form to full backdated payment took seven weeks. Hope this is helpful and reassuring to anyone going through the same process ๐Ÿ˜

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,558 Online Community Programme Lead

Great news @GoingslightlyMAD, thank you for updating us!