Carers Allowance and PIP Review

curiouscat67
curiouscat67 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 9 in Benefits and income

Hi All,

Sincere apologies if I have asked a question that has already been answered. I have looked around but there is no answer that directly addresses I can see and anxiety is getting the better of me.

I would please ask if anyone knows the following:

PIP is being reviewed. If the review goes over the award date (end date), and PIP is extended by DWP because new award has not happened yet, do you still get Carers Allowance for the duration of the extended PIP date?

If so, is this an automated extension of carers allowance or do you need to get in contract with the carers unit to inform them of the extension?

Thank you very much for reading.

Best regards,

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 6,910 Online Community Coordinator

Hey there @curiouscat67 and welcome to the community!

Sorry to see no one has been able to answer your question. I'm afraid I cant give a definite answer here, I think it would be best to give the DWP a call and see if they can answer?

• curiouscat67
    curiouscat67 Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Thank you for reading, I gave them a call and got an answer and am sharing here to help anyone else that may come across this Q. The following presumes that any review for PIP is submitted in good time (to hit DWP before the deadline).

• Carers allowance may send a letter towards the end of the date of the original PIP award indicating carers allowance will stop
    • At this point, they advised that the claimant calls PIP and indicates to them that carers allowance is being affected and to request an extension date
    • Call up carers allowance and inform them of the extension date provided by PIP, and they will make a note on their systems.

Just to confirm for all others - carers allowance does get paid out during an extension, but you need to do a few steps just to make sure all flows together well (as listed above).