ESA

Butterfliess
Butterfliess Community member Posts: 97 Contributor

Can someone please confirm this for me.

There are no savings limits for ESA CB . I have a relative who’s just been told by citizens advice that the £16.000 limit applies to ESA CB and PIP. Though this doesn’t have any impact on me I’m concerned that this is the information been given out. I was under the impression you could have over £6k on ESA CB but not £16k and it didn’t matter for PIP. I don’t want to give out any information if I don’t know myself. So be nice to have it cleared up if someone knows more.
Thank you in advance ☺️

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,306 Championing

CB based ESA isn’t means tested so any amount of savings/ capital do not affect the amount of ESA you’re entitled to.

They also need to make sure that part of their ESA isn’t Income Related because that is means tested.

• Butterfliess
    Butterfliess Community member Posts: 97 Contributor

I see, so I also was wrong in thinking that they could only have up to 6K savings. Thank you for clearing that up.

In regards to checking if any of their claim is IB is that simply a call to the Job Centre?

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,306 Championing

It would be ESA that they will need to ring. If they are in the Support Group CB is £138.20/week so if it’s more that that they receive then at least part of it will be Income Related.

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 4,086 Online Community Coordinator

Hi @Butterfliess, you're right about PIP, and as far as I'm aware ESA contributions based is the same. Neither are means tested, so you can have any amount of money saved and still claim 😊