Elitism At St Andrews University
I have to say I have never encountered such a feeling of master and servant, as I did driving coach loads of these students to and from dinners and parties. I found it quite unsettling.
Comments
-
Thanks for sharing @ChrisR777
“Yes, some students do arrive here in St Andrews, and at every other university, with immature, offensive and classist views. But they tend not to leave with them,” said the vice-principal Niall Scott.
Rasmus, a Danish student, said he was bemused by the social dynamics at the university.
“It took two weeks for me to meet a Scottish person. They are surrounded by people here who have the money for international tuition, which is quite narrow. I can imagine that being quite a difficult experience,” he said.
1 -
And these silly people who act in this way, they fail to realise it's their parents with the money, they are so far, just the lucky beneficiaries.
0 -
Thank you for sharing this @ChrisR777. It is a really interesting read. The uni I went to wasn't an elite or top university but there was definitely still classism there so I can imagine it being worse further on up you go unfortunately.
0 -
A sibling's child/young person is to start at an 'Oxbridge' college, i suppose they already have by now? I can't understand this desire to attend an elite institution, not when their parent, my sibling, they went to a bog standard school and university, but achieved what they consider to be success.
The cloistered university, following on from a cloistered school environment, I don't see how that adequately prepares one for life in multi cultural; in their case, England. But then I suppose that will continue into their career, where again they won't have to rub shoulders with oiks like me.
My daughter has had to work in a supermarket to fund her university education, and she flat shares with a very diverse mix of people, at least one from a poor, Eastern European background. If I had money, or indeed any influence over her life, I wouldn't have it any other way. She is now started her Masters degree, which i have learned recently, is postgraduate level.
0 -
My Dad did his PhD at St Andrews. Some of my first memories are of living there in a little rented cottage called Moonsie Mill.
He is Irish and definitely not posh. That was in the 60s.
0 -
Working class people go to the university, but these rich kids from the US and elsewhere, they are attempting to shame them for their humble origins, and inability to partake in the imported sorority/fraternity rubbish. That was the subject of the article.
0 -
I think as the wealth divide gets worse, more and more places will end up this way. I can see it being the case at all the 'top' universities and even towns and cities. It is such a shame.
0 -
Elitism has to be the worst thing about institutional academia…
Knowledge is power, and power corrupts absolutely.
Even (if not especially) those who regard themselves to be conscientious and moral, very often do let their education status go to their heads 🙄
I guess its the inherent danger of any self-betterment: "Better than whom?" 🤔
0
Categories
- All Categories
- 16.4K Start here and say hello!
- 7.7K Coffee lounge
- 122 Games den
- 1.8K People power
- 190 Announcements and information
- 25.8K Talk about life
- 6.2K Everyday life
- 437 Current affairs
- 2.5K Families and carers
- 888 Education and skills
- 2K Work
- 631 Money and bills
- 3.8K Housing and independent living
- 1.2K Transport and travel
- 673 Relationships
- 1.6K Mental health and wellbeing
- 2.6K Talk about your impairment
- 885 Rare, invisible, & undiagnosed conditions
- 949 Neurological impairments and pain
- 2.3K Cerebral Palsy Network
- 1.3K Autism and neurodiversity
- 41.7K Talk about your benefits
- 6.2K Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
- 20.6K PIP, DLA, ADP & AA
- 9.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 5.4K Benefits and income


