Student finance and LCWRA
Hello guys. I am new here so firstly, hello 👋😀
I have what is very probably going to be a stupid question. Please don't laugh.
I have had a look at other people who have asked about Student finance when on disability benefits. But I can't seem to see anyone in my situation. I currently get UC with LCWRA and PIP (high daily living, low mobility). So I know i am able to get the special component of the maintenance loan and get UC still.
But basically, I've just done a calculation of what UC i would get after deductions the Maintenance loan, and it leaves me with a negative payment 😂 i was only calculating it to check it wasn't zero a month as I know the claim closes after 6 months of zero, and that terrifies me incase I can't cope and have to leave the course. Even just getting £1 and keeping my claim open is amazing. But that isn't what's happening as I get my rent paid directly to my landlord. Now I'm totally confused.
I am eligible for the full maintenance loan. After the special component is deducted, the remainder divided by the number of assessment periods I will have and the £110 taken off. I am left with £350 UC a month. The problem is, my rent is £550 and is paid directly to my landlord. So it's technically negative.
How would this be worked out and does that mean I will have zero months? Or will it be that i am eligible for £350 which is what counts, meaning my claim stays open? Will it be essentially for the purpose of eligible amount each month that because I am still entitled to £350 that my claim stays open... they just part pay my rent and I make up the difference privately?
I am honestly so confused. I know the obvious thing would be to pay the rent myself, but the housing association set it up this way after getting into rent arrears when my benefits weren't sorted when i first move in 4 years ago (they are paid off now). So I don't think I can? I also pay water straight out of my UC after getting into arrears with them too. So im extra specially in the negative with UC. With the £350 I am entitled to. What is prioritised? The rent or the water?
Is anyone able to help me with this? It would be much appreciated.
Thank you 😀
Categories
- All Categories
- 16.4K Start here and say hello!
- 7.7K Coffee lounge
- 122 Games den
- 1.8K People power
- 189 Announcements and information
- 25.8K Talk about life
- 6.2K Everyday life
- 436 Current affairs
- 2.5K Families and carers
- 886 Education and skills
- 2K Work
- 630 Money and bills
- 3.8K Housing and independent living
- 1.2K Transport and travel
- 680 Relationships
- 1.6K Mental health and wellbeing
- 2.6K Talk about your impairment
- 885 Rare, invisible, & undiagnosed conditions
- 949 Neurological impairments and pain
- 2.3K Cerebral Palsy Network
- 1.3K Autism and neurodiversity
- 41.7K Talk about your benefits
- 6.2K Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
- 20.6K PIP, DLA, ADP & AA
- 9.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 5.4K Benefits and income