ESA/DLA and University — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA/DLA and University

Options
koolkatz
koolkatz Community member Posts: 1 Listener
 I am currently  in the support group for ESA and also get DLA. If I take out a maintenance loan for University  will my ESA or DLA be affected?

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi koolkatz,
    If you are on income-related ESA then yes, it certainly will. DLA is unaffected, but income-related ESA is directly reduced by your maintenance loan (bar an amount of £390 for books/equipment and £303 for travel - these amounts are per year).

Any disabled students' allowance is disregarded.

Whether or not you take out the loan, for income-related ESA you are treated as taking out the maximum which would be available to you. I'm afraid that is the way it works. The loan is apportioned over the weeks of the academic year with another £10 a week ignored - otherwise, it all reduces your income-related ESA for those weeks.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.