ESA/DLA and University — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA/DLA and University

koolkatz
koolkatz Member Posts: 1 Listener
 I am currently  in the support group for ESA and also get DLA. If I take out a maintenance loan for University  will my ESA or DLA be affected?

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi koolkatz,
    If you are on income-related ESA then yes, it certainly will. DLA is unaffected, but income-related ESA is directly reduced by your maintenance loan (bar an amount of £390 for books/equipment and £303 for travel - these amounts are per year).

Any disabled students' allowance is disregarded.

Whether or not you take out the loan, for income-related ESA you are treated as taking out the maximum which would be available to you. I'm afraid that is the way it works. The loan is apportioned over the weeks of the academic year with another £10 a week ignored - otherwise, it all reduces your income-related ESA for those weeks.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.