Finally Me and my wheelchair got A Job — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finally Me and my wheelchair got A Job

Options
basiclee08
basiclee08 Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
I have to say being on the other side of  recruiting the LOOK some people give you when you turn up in your wheelchair. Long over it and there issue not mine. I found a Employer that saw past my disability and offered my a job A totally new Role for me as a Administrator but work is work and just glad to be back working. my first shift tonight 10pm  to 6am. Just wished more Employers joined Disability Confident and gave more of us a chance. So dusted off my old Teaching suits. Shocked Still fit me lol. ordered tax credits form just got to do PiP renewal and Happy days but now being supported by local Disabled Charity thru process. hope to go up onto Enhanced  from Standard.  Have to say only got here from a lot of support from friends family and Disabled community and Scope Too.  

Comments

• Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    Options
    @basiclee08 Well Done!! I hope all goes well for you, and that you enjoy it 
  • K1635010
    K1635010 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Wow amazing @basiclee08. Very inspirational.

I would love to speak to you for my research on employed individuals with disabilities to assess resilience. Would you be willing to have a 30 minute Skype audio call as an informal interview? Please email me on K1635010@kingston.ac.uk if you want to be part of my research. Much appreciated :)
  • Catman
    Catman Community member, Scope Member Posts: 64 Courageous
    Options
    Well done on getting a job, my friend. I was employed as a skilled fitter for GKN AEROSPACE in Filton Bristol until my Fibromyalgia worsened and they managed to get rid of me. Due to chronic pain and fatigue, I feel virtually unemployable now. I wish you all the best. 
  • basiclee08
    basiclee08 Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @Catman sorry to hear your fibromyalgia has worsened. I have few friends work at rolls royce doing a simular job. Me just a office worker now gotta say great company and work colleagues made me returning back to work a lot easier.. I hope pain relief soted for you and Fatigue is a nightmare Too. cheers for the message. Lee

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.