I cannot loose any weight really depressing. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I cannot loose any weight really depressing.

Diligent500
Diligent500 Community member Posts: 20 Listener
Hi to all,

I waa born very prematurw at32 weeks was in scbu for 10 week them allowed home i am diabetic partially sighted arthritis diabetes back problems bowel problems vertigo balance issues i am 14 stone and need to loose weight how can i get bk to 8.5 to 9 stone again really need help n support no one is willing to give.

Please Help Support Me.

Diligent500.

Comments

• Corrine
    Corrine Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Really new to the community but this is a problem I was recently having myself. I'm wheelchair bound at the moment and could not shift weight after doing some of my own research I discovered due to my limited mobility it was actually recommended i eat much fewer calories than I was as I was not burning them off. I am not saying you should follow this to the letter as with diabetes I know you must be careful and definitely discuss with a doctor. But I no longer eat carbs 4-5 days a week instead filling up on veg or fruit as a side and I've so far lost a stone. 

This may not be an option for you but it may be something you could consult a dietician or doctor about.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KirstenNutritionAdvisor
    KirstenNutritionAdvisor Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Hello, firstly your not alone.

we are here to help, advise and support you! Please keep reaching out and keep asking questions. 

Lets start with youre current diet what are you eating, lots of people make the mistake of thinking weight loss is a simple as calories in vrs calories out and then drop too low or forget the bodies need nutrients and have too many man made diet products. 

Focus on naturally low calorie foods but highly nutrient rich foods think salads, vegetables and team these with meats, lentils or pulses. Also don't fear fat things like avocados, healthy oils even butter is part of a healthy diet! with fat a little goes along way but this important nutrient needs to be included. 

Eat little and often going for no more no more than four hours without food.

some ideas would be

Two eggs scrambled with grilled tomatoes and mushrooms with one slice of toast for breakfast 

a snack of 
    Live NATURAL yogurt (not flavoured or low fat!) with fruit like fresh or frozen berries 

lunch 
    new potatoes and tuna salad 

snack 10 almonds and an apple

dinner

vegetable and lentil soup 

Also ensure you are drinking enough water throughout the day.

reduce coffee and tea.
    limit sweet treats, like biscuits chocolates, and savoury snacks like crackers, crisps and pasteries.

your taste buds will start to change and cravings will go away a few weeks in time. 

Focus in health not dieting.

tell yourself you CAN loss weight and believe it!! Your mind is very powerful! 

are you able to exercise at all? Start slowly and build up even a gentle  5 - 10 minute walks can still help! 

Slow and and steady wins the race remember, weight loss doesn't have to be fast and furious.

its about developing healthy habits that are easy to achieve!

please ask me all the questions you have an I can give you much more specific answers. 

You can achieve your health goals goals and we are here to support you along the way. You are not alone. 

Sending you a great great big virtual hug. Xx
  • Diligent500
    Hi thankyou for all the answers n help i have lost some weight this week on low carb diet.

But i expect it to just go not got patience like i used to have to wait for it to all go.
    Proberbly cus ive got 3 n a half stone to loose got weighed earlier and i was 13 stone 4 making veg cassarole for dinner no potatoes lol.

I have an unwanted headache today lol.

Diligent500

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I have seen many discussions about weight loss, dieting, healthy eating and exercise and have looked into some of it plus used my own experiences to come up with a theory.

Exercise has little effect on weight loss. Yes you will burn a few calories off but you also stimulate your digestion system making you more hungry. It will have a positive effect on the muscle structure and help tone yourself into a better shape.

Diets, unless health related, aren't much help because at some point you will go back to your normal eating habits and put any weight lost back on.

Healthy eating isn't really effective in weight loss per se, it is designed to balance your food requirements with physical needs. However, it is quite easy to listen to your own body and eat what it requests to get the appropriate nutrition. All you have to do is to trust yourself.

If you watch TV or listen to the radio you will be bombarded by programmes encouraging you to eat and drink much more than needed and also to keep buying more than necessary. Society generally has been over eating and over drinking since the early 1950's when rationing stopped. People are becoming convinced by what they see and hear into eating and drinking far too much.

There is a simple way to lose weight. Eat and drink less. Have smaller meals and don't drink much alcohol. I appreciate that there are special nutritional needs for certain conditions and illnesses and also that some medications have negative effects on weight but you have to make a life change in what you consume.

On a personal level, by all nutritional standards, my diet is horrendous. I eat everything I am not supposed to and eat none of the things I am. I live on things like pizza, chips, curry, chilli, white bread, crisps, biscuits, sweets and sugary drinks (which I drink a lot of). I eat no vegetables except a few in curry or chilli (so I can't taste them). However, in the last 7 years, I have slowly lost 10 stone (62.2 Kg) and dropped from 23.5 stone to 13.5 stone. I have simply eaten less over the years because I have lost my teeth not so slowly. The portions I now eat are much less than they used to be because I don't like cold cooked food. I take no exercise (not even walking) and drink almost no alcohol (due to medication). If I do go out I drive and use a mobility scooter as I have no way of going beyond a short distance without them.

I find that very few people agree with me but facts are facts and people spend so much time reading and following current eating trends and fads that they end up just becoming confused and disappointed and then give up. I know that there are a lot of 'experts' that will disagree with what I've said but then those same 'experts' will change their opinion every few years as more information conflicts with their thinking. Even if you are on special diets due to health conditions you can still eat less than they do now so long as they cut down slowly and listen when their body begins to tell you something is missing. It is a matter of common sense and trusting yourself.

Good luck with losing extra weight.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Diligent500
    Hi Topkitten,

Thankyou for the info.

Diligent500
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I am no expert or nutritionalist but all my life, as far as I can remember, I have eaten what I "wanted". Other than a brief spell, when I first had to adjust my lifestyle because of my condition, my weight has remained constant. I don't believe in forced exercise, food is fuel for your body, we all possess the fight or flight response so storing fuel is natural but if we don't use it we don't need to keep storing it.
    Try to "listen" to what your body wants, as TK says. It is a very hard thing to do, it comes from a different place than your "mind". We all do it to some extent, when we fancy something, but we are also programmed to think that we should eat in certain ways and eat certain things, 5 a day vegetables, three square meals a day, for example.
    I am not advocating a diet of crisps and pop but try and fuel your body with what it wants, rather than what you think it wants or, worse, what others tell you it wants.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.