I want to run a parent support and advice group — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I want to run a parent support and advice group

Harrisont2 Member Posts: 1 Listener
I want to run a parent support and advice group for parents and carers of children with Autism and other disabilities in Burnley Lancashire.  Is there a contact near by who I can talk to about this idea.  We are desperately in need of a drop in advice centre here and as a retired Community Specialist Practitioner with 30 years disability experience working with children and adults, I think I could offer a lot to our local community.


  • iza
    iza Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 589 Pioneering
    edited November 2017
    Hi @Harrisont2, Welcome to the community. Congratulation on the idea to use your skill to set up and support parental group. I could recommend you to get in touch with special education needs services in your local area. Please follow link here , you can also get in your local volunteer centre and talk to them about your idea. They may help you apply for grant to set up your own parenting group in one of the local community centres. Otherwise, please @ParentingAdvisor can you direct @Harrisont2 with more advice here. 
  • salsacat
    salsacat Member Posts: 2 Connected
    Hi - just to let you know there is Action for ASD which is a local group in Burnley.  Also you may want to get in touch with Contact as they can Contact.org.uk


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.