What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

leaving marital home

mazgomazgo Member Posts: 10 Listener
2018 is gonna be a Massive life changing year for me and my family. In january I'm Going to start the ball rolling on my new life. but I'm very unsure on what and how to go about it.
Firstly i get pip (was reduced and i now get about £430 and esa £400 per month as i have a numerous list of disabilities nens i also have home help 24hrs per day. The mayor issue is we have a mortgage which earlier this year when i also planned on leaving my husband made it very very very clear he will Not move out or sell this house !. Then our daughter declared she was pregnant so all went on back burner and i convinced myself its all in my head. 
What is my position with benefit help. I have calculated that i could afford a 1 bed flat £450-£500 with bills but not if i have to contribute to the mortgage as well. Equally i don't want to throw away the house etc etc and sign over to mark my husband.
I've been trying to save for the deposit need for private rent etc and so far have £300.  a job in progress etc..
Please could you advise and offer any help with my situation.

Many thanks



  • MarkmywordsMarkmywords Member Posts: 421 Pioneering
    Hello @mazgo ,

    First of all you should get professional legal advice from a divorce lawyer. Neither side can dictate terms to the other.
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mazgo, I really hope 2018 will be a great year for you. I'd definitely advise checking out the online benefits calculator to check whether there's anything else you may be able to claim, and as mentioned above, you may also benefit from seeking legal help with your housing situation. Do keep us updated with how you're getting on!
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi mazgo - as Pippa says, I do recommend running your circumstances through the benefit checker as your benefit situation could get quite complicated. I also suggest that you consult a local advice agency and a family lawyer about your situation, and I think it wold be a good idea to do all your research BEFORE you decide to leave. You need to get a clear idea of the likely benefit consequences of each of your options, including how the DWP would treat your share of the family home. The situation is further complicated by the rollout of Universal Credit, which also needs to be factored into your decision. For instance, if you get PIP and Contribution based ESA, then moved out and needed housing benefit for your rent, this would not be available to you if you are in what's known as  a Universal Credit full service area - you would have to claim UC instead, which brings its own set of issues. The benefits checker would give you more information about this. The Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333 will be able to give you details of local advice agencies, and so does this website: www.universalcreditinfo.net, which will also tell you about the status of UC in your area. Please get back to us if you need any further help.
    Kind regards,

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.