Will I get help with mortgage on PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Will I get help with mortgage on PIP?

Josiane Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Was dignosed with TM in July. Claimed pip ,waiting for assessment, My question I will I get help with my mortgage.Thank you


  • robbiebox361
    robbiebox361 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    hi josiane,there is a thing called SMI ,which i believe is there to help If you're claiming  income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Income Support ,i think it helps towards the mortgage interest ...but i have never heard pip mentioned in this context..pip is not means tested so the money would help you...
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Josiane

    Welcome to the community, the CAB say:

    Benefit top-ups
    You may get a top-up (called a premium) on the following benefits if you get PIP:
    • Housing Benefit
    • Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Employment and Support Allowance - but only if you get the PIP daily living component
    • Pension Credit - but only if you get the PIP daily living component
    Council tax discounts
    If you get either the daily living or mobility component of PIP, you may get money off your council tax bill.
    It’s hard to say exactly how much you’ll get off because it depends on things like the component and rate of PIP you’re getting. However, your council will be able to tell you.
    Travel support
    When you get your PIP award letter, you can apply for a:You may also:
    SMI is Support for Mortgage Interest and will be ending on 5th April this year and will be replaced by a loan.
    Senior online community officer
  • Jazzguitar
    Jazzguitar Member Posts: 180 Courageous
    Welcome from Neville in Whitleigh Plymouth Devon


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.