Can I claim income support along with other benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can I claim income support along with other benefits?

Sammie_snail27 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi i do not get any sence out of the benafit calculator. 

Can someone on ESA & PIP their partner being on Carer's Allowance. 
My question is Can you also claim Income Support as well as all those other benafits. someone told me that they claim all those benefits but I don't know if it's true or not


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Sammie and welcome

    Each claim is individual but it is possible

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • feir
    feir Member Posts: 395 Pioneering
    income support is a top up payment for people who cannot work. so if you aren't on as much money as the law says you need to live off then this benefit can be used to top that up to the right amount.

    i remember this government saying they would use UC to make it easier for people to claim what they're entitled to and presumed that meant those of us on loads of different benefits would get everything rolled into one so we didn't have to keep on top of loads of claims, but they just rolled it out to the people on one benefit instead.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sammie_snail27, and welcome to the community!

    I hope the above responses are useful: you might also like to have a look at this overview of various benefits from our website.
  • sophiajones
    sophiajones Member Posts: 2 Listener

    If you are looking to claim for Income Support then you can say yes to all of the following:

    • You are a carer, or a lone parent or grandparent looking after a child younger than 5.
    • You have on a low income.
    • Your savings is less than £16,000.
    • You work less than 16 hours a week.
    • If you have a partner, do they work less than 24 hours a week.

    When you apply for the Income Support, then your savings, income and circumstances will be taken into account. What counts as a low income will be depend on your individual situation.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.