How are these Benefit cuts targeting disabled people being allowed to happen? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How are these Benefit cuts targeting disabled people being allowed to happen?

sharwed
sharwed Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi. I’m very worried about how this targeting of disabled people has been allowed to go on. What is being done to get this changed please? I know pips are being reviewed and quite right too.
I’ve looked at my situation and am horrified I’d look to be about £30+ a week worse off when I have to move to universal credit, and a change of circumstance would trigger this. I live in utter fear with physical and mental health problems and feel people like me are being driven to suicide. I’m a carer to my autistic son and he is just as worried.
I’m 58 single get highest dla care and mobility. I currently am on income support. As I have been too ill to work since 2009 I filled all the sick notes in and sent to dwp at the time until I needed to send no more to them. Surely this should put me into a limited work support group without going through the whole thing again from scratch? I truly am at my wits end!

Comments

• stephenjohn
    stephenjohn Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Sadly the d.w.p are a lore unto them selves ,the don’t worry about the person ,just the money .qenuine sick or disabled people are continually harassed whilst other people seem to get money thrown at them ! Mental anguish isn’t taken into account and the stress it causes isn’t taken into account either,if one has a stress related illness it cause so much distress 
  • redstony
    redstony Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I'm in same boat 2 kids they cutting my money putting me in a work group I'm worse now than when I aplied how does this work
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    It happens because it is a government directive to cut benefit costs. The DWP can basically do as they like because the government backs them up. Picking on the little guy (I.e. a minority group) is always the perspective bullies take.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • sunflower23
    sunflower23 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    The sad thing about the welfare system is that the people that really need help feel that thay have failed as a person,
     because thay really want to contribute to society 
    but due to there illness,thay are now treated as a drain on society,
    whats also extra sad is some of us used to work long hours but had to give up our job due to ill health ,or because a loved ones got sick and and  we are now careing for a loved one,95%of people want the the best care.for there loved ones  but the government keep on shouting who’s footing the welfare bill ,the Same people who where elected to serve you and me.

Yet who seem to now be self serving and filling there’s own boots ,and who ask for a pay rise ,and also fiddle the own taxes and say it not me gov 
    the same ones that in one breath claim to be compassionate conservatives 
    but who only care about there rich chums in the banking world who we also bailed  out ,the same. People who rely don’t need our help,,, but who would change us for going over drawn on our accounts due to the fact that this government wants to cut the benefits bill,and don’t care who it affects as long as it’s not them,the same ones who would say get a job but kick you out of it once you have got new commitments/mortgages/rent bill extra thay don’t care as long as it’s not them ,you’re now owned by the bank and dictated to by the DWP who want you to remain in that hole that was not your making ,but by the governments so called wisemen who thought that thay could save a quid our two......yet cause misery to those people who need help at there time of need,,
    we are not all on the fiddle may be the odd one or two ,but to target everyone is unfair,knowing that thay can get away with it to make the figures look good is just plain crazy as it becomes a domino effect it hits everyone hard
  • sharwed
    sharwed Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I agree with all you’ve all said my friends. We are at the mercy of a regime that wants us gone, and they don’t care how they achieve it. We are all grouped together under headings of scroungers. What must happen is these people must be held accountable for their direct targeted discrimination of us. We need the big disability organisations to fight for us to get these benefit rules changed and a proper fair system brought in where the disability premiums still stand and we don’t have to live in fear and poverty. I do hope Corbyn gets in power as I believe he is a man for the people, not just the elite few
  • stephenjohn
    stephenjohn Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Yes we are an easy target for cuts and abuse,I care for my wife and my dad but people often say ,when they hear that I’m a carer ,oh nice easy job then ,walk a week in my shoes matey ,sometimes up all night with my wife then having to stay awake all day to care for her again ,people see too many t.v programs featuring the scrounges and put us all in the same boat ....we get less benefit than many unemployed people ,I did not ask to give up my 25 grand a year job to become a 10 pound a day carer ! I signed up in sickness and in health ......Mr corbyn is a bit of an unknown quantity so I’m not sure ,we need more protection in law .....
  • maid08
    maid08 Community member Posts: 307 Pioneering
    sharwed said:
    I agree with all you’ve all said my friends. We are at the mercy of a regime that wants us gone, and they don’t care how they achieve it. We are all grouped together under headings of scroungers. What must happen is these people must be held accountable for their direct targeted discrimination of us. We need the big disability organisations to fight for us to get these benefit rules changed and a proper fair system brought in where the disability premiums still stand and we don’t have to live in fear and poverty. I do hope Corbyn gets in power as I believe he is a man for the people, not just the elite few
    labour statred this mess so no point in thinking they will solve it ??they may say they will ?till in power then watch out
  • benjamin007
    benjamin007 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    I believe it was Cameron that introduced PIP but correct me if I am wrong

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.