Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Sheffield Steelkings Para Ice Hockey Club
I'd just like to introduce myself. My name is John and I am a member of the Sheffield Steelkings Para Ice Hockey Club which consists of a group of people who get together, usually on a Friday evening, at Ice Sheffield between 6 and 7pm.
We are a fully inclusive team consisting of lower-body amputees and able-bodied people of both sexes over the age of 18, although we do have plans for sessions in the future for under 18’s also. We compete in a league during the spring and summer months and are the newest team in the league, although there are plans for others to be established in the not too distant future. The last season, which was our third, was our most successful and we made it through to the end-of-season Play-off Tournament which was held in Hull. The game itself is played on tubular framed sledges which are propelled by the use of a short hockey stick fitted with metal picks which dig into the surface of the ice.
Our vision for the future is to continue our growth and we would like to increase the number of players with disabilities. This sport would be most suited to people with lower body impairments as physical effort is required from the upper body to play the sport.
If you are interested in finding out more about our club, or know anyone else who may be, we would really like to hear from you. We can be found on Facebook under Sheffield Steelkings Para Ice Hockey Club
Thanks for reading this,
- 54.2K All Categories
- 10.6K Start here and say hello!
- 5.1K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities
- 157 Community updates
- 12.1K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 800 Work and employment
- 591 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 293 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 266 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.8K Talk about money
- 2.2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.6K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.6K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.1K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 688 Chronic pain and pain management
- 708 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 759 Autism and neurodiversity
- 941 Mental health and wellbeing
- 311 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.