PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

PIP APPEAL, I STUGGLE TO TALK

susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
i have my pip appeal on Monday and don’t know what they will ask me!! Iv sent upto date medical info and a report from Psycologist but when in anxious I lose my speech. Will this affect the hearing. I’m so scared 

Replies

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Get yourself some free representation and, if you can't do that by Monday, then ask for an adjournment in order to do so. In any event do not go by yourself on Monday. However, tribunals are not ogres and if they can see there are communication difficulties they will look at various ways of addressing that. 
  • susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you mikehughescq, my friend and carer is taking me and coming with me. The problem is I don’t know what question will be asked so not sure what to write as possible replies! I’m so worried I just want to cancel but my G.P and family say I should go. Seem to be consumed with over thinking about it I just want to sleep
    Okay, well you're halfway there if someone is going with you. However, if that's the case then you need to be clear with the clerk beforehand that they're coming in as a witness not as an observer. If you don't do that then they won't be allowed to speak or intervene at any point. 

The single worst thing you could do is not turn up at this stage. That risks the tribunal deciding they have enough evidence to go ahead without you and the chances of success on a paper only hearing are negligible. 

Which are are you in? It may still be possible to point you towards independent advice/representation in your area at this late stage and an adjournment to allow a rep. to prepare a case would not be unwelcome to most tribunals. The only reason they would refuse that ordinarily is if they were satisfied on previewing the papers that, if they went ahead, they would likely make an award anyway. 

In terms of anticipating questions... you can't and there's no point. One person will ask about daily living and one about mobility. Specifically what they ask will largely relate to expanding on what you put in your claim pack.
    Not sure what you mean, which am I in?.
    iv stated in appeal papers I need my friend in case I cannot talk but will let them know when I arrive. 
    Iv spent much of this week going round in circles. The DWP appeal papers, the big brown envelope, are too much to take in, can’t even remember what I write on here. Will just have to try and write down answers of what things they might ask.
    why does this have to be so hard when getting up is a massive task
    Sorry, a single letter went missing there. 

Which area are you in?
    I’m in Fife Scotland 
    So, you have Fife Law Centre. 
    I’m not sure but will try and find out, thank you 
    There is one close to me but only open on a Tuesday and Thursday! Looks like I will just have to get it over with on Monday and hope for the best. Will try and write what deciphers I feel are incorrect
    You don’t have to get it over with. It’s absolutely legitimate to ask for an adjournment to obtain representation. 
    Sorry I thought I’d replied, yes there’s one near me will talk to family and carer asap. Thanks for your message I didn’t know the Fife Law Centre helped, hadn’t heard of them before. Greatly appreciated 
Sign in or join us to comment.