Adult services want to move brother to respite care rather than respite at home — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Adult services want to move brother to respite care rather than respite at home

junemc Member Posts: 2 Listener
i am carer for my little brother who has cerebal palsy severe learning and physical disabilities. He has direct payments due to his complex needs he has PAs who know him well and can understand/interpret if he’s in pain etc Adult serviced have done new Assessment which states this and he receives 1:1 care and is never left alone. They are trying to cut money and have said that instead of having respite at home cheaper option would be to go into one of their respite places! This shocks/worries me as they would not be able to understand him especially re pain issues and this could be fatal with problems he has?? Also sure they cannot offer comparable care re somebody that knows him well and is on hand 24 he’s a day one to one??? 
I need help to fight this decision pls 


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,212 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi junemc and welcome

    Try ringing the Scope help line to talk to someone who might point you in the right direction

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @junemc and welcome to the community. I hope we find ways to help you with this and that you will keep us posted.
    I have some idea of what you are going through.
    And if you need just to chat, or to rant, I'm here and listening.
    Warmest best wishes,
  • Maxianne
    Maxianne Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Hi @junemc
    Although social care are trying to change your brothers respite remember that your brothers care must be personal centred and his choice. I don't know if your brother can communicate his needs, if not have you thought about getting him an advocate.
    best wishes
  • junemc
    junemc Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you all for commenting. My brother can not communicate clearly I am probably his best advocate
  • Maxianne
    Maxianne Member Posts: 6 Connected
    Hi @junemc
    I have just been through something very similar to your situation with my non verbal son and although like you say we are their best advocates I found by getting an independent advocate on board my sons views were listened to, not the way it should be! An advocate will also help your brother to fight any decisions that are not in his best interest.
    take care

  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi junmc

    Sorry to hear about the problems.

    You need some assistance on behalf of your brother.  Putting in simple terms, your brother has the same rights as every able person in this country.  Though he needs assistance to invoke his right and so do you as his career.

    I've had similar problems with various bodies in supporting my brother in law,  who server learning disabilities and short term memory loss.

    As previous stated, you need an advocate to assist you both, this will to have professional advice on what your council can and importantly cannot do.

    I suggest you seek advice from Mencap helpline, they will get one of their in house lawyers to advise you.

    I would contact your local councillor to register your concerns Asap.

    I would also contact Carers Uk.

    Hope this helps, from experience the more fuss you make at this stage the better for you both.

    If I think of anything else I will let you know.

    Best wishes



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.