If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


MarciaburnhamMarciaburnham Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi,inwas made homeless after having to sell my house because of my ex husbands bankruptcy, me and my 2children have been split up and sofa surfing at friends and families houses,I'm 53,and have always had my own home,so haven't a clue how to apply for a council house,or to get any money from the DSS ,my family are giving me money for food etc,i lost my job because of the situation im in,can anyone help me please,x


  • susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
    Im so sorry your in this situation, it’s awful.
    Have to been to the council as where I am they need to find you emergency accommodation if you are homeless.
    they will put you on there housing list also or guide you where to go.
    CAB should also help and there’s a benefit calculator on this site you could use to find out what your entitled too.

    i hope that helps a little
  • MarciaburnhamMarciaburnham Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanking,for advice,x
  • debsidoodebsidoo Member Posts: 327 Pioneering
    Hi Marciaburnham.
    I would contact your nearest office for Shelter as they will advise you on the best way forward for housing.They will also be able to signpost you to any other agency that is able to help with your situation.Get to your nearest council office and ask to be put on the common housing register they will explain how to “bid” for properties and which ones you will be eligible for.
    Get yourself to your local Jobcentre and they will give you an appointment to discuss your options.Good luck 
  • susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi debsodoo,
    sorry I didn’t know you had to “bid”on houses, not in Scotland.
    wasnt award.
    Also didn’t think of Shelter, good shout.

    i do hope you get something sorted quickly 
Sign in or join us to comment.