PIP Lost Motability Car — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

PIP Lost Motability Car

I had been on the DLA mobility Rate for 8 years having been awarded this for an indefinite period. I had tried to get living help as well but was refused that.  Then I was asked to go for a PIP  assessment which was expected at some time but I didn't expect them to take my independence like this.  I was awarded the standard level of the living element but not the Mobility part,
I have many conditions and have gotten worse over the years, when I went to the assessment I arrived as usual totally out of puff and gasping so much that the girl assessing me asked if I was okay, yet according to the award letter I don't get short of breath and that's just one of many errors on the award.  I sent them a letter asking for a mandatory reconsideration but haven't heard from them, what should I do


  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi pea.
    Did you send your request signed for,if not redo it as signed for.Meanwhile I would give them a phone call to see if they have received your first request.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger
    When did you send in MR?  You are unlikely to get a response in under a month.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Pea and welcome

    thank you for joining our community

    Unfortunately this happens far to often when people transfer from DLA to PIP

    DLA and PIP use different criteria for awards and it is important to understand the points sytem, descriptors and criteria  for an award.

    Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report ?
    If not you  should ring DWP and ask for it

    Have a look at the B&W self test


    MR's can take many weeks to complete so you will have to wait

    In the mean time try and get f2f advice from CAB or similar


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Shakey06
    Shakey06 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    best thing is to reappeal  which you tell the DWP that you submitting MR in the mean time you can apply jsa but also mention you are doing MR for your ESA which keep on senting them sick note from doctor and ask your case again to go court for another appeal tier 1 bur as soon you sent everything like future appointment and doctor visit it is more likely that they will a u turn because DWP are losing money case after case so don't give up it worth fighting for .


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.