I am on tablets for depression, but have been questioned about my ability to drive — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am on tablets for depression, but have been questioned about my ability to drive

Options
Scooot09XXX
Scooot09XXX Community member Posts: 50 Connected
edited September 2018 in Transport and travel
Him on anti depression tablets i recently had a medical wich she asked could i drive i replyed yes she is saying my mental state is not bad as i can drive i only drive on occasions when i feel ok and theres not much trafficcan anyone give me any advice plz

Comments

• gnmeads
    gnmeads Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Scooot09XXX sorry to hear about your problems.  Sounds like you did your best. If your unhappy with the decision you could appeal.  If you have more problems please get back to us
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Scooot09XXX Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining.  Understand you are on depression medication.  I know it might be worth having a look at the DVLA website for the medication you are on.

I know you stressed you can drive and have mental health issues. To drive but you have said in your post you can drive on occasions.

My concern would be how fit mentally am I to drive on this medication is it effecting me.

Am on antidepressants. Know can not drive if sleepy says on the packet. So do not drive at night anyway..

Have anxiety and depression but know am OK according to DVLA website.  Asked my Doctor as well for advice.

There are different variants of mental health regarding depression.

Something myself have to admit now since losing my mobility part of the PIP. Does not concern me as I have no car.  Very soon.

May I suggest something to consider for yourself. Just a thought.

If you need to appeal we have a lot of information on our benefits. Please have a look . Also please speak to CAB  for anything further. Such as benefit advice and information.

Can be useful.  We are here as a community to give you support and help if we can Give you reassurance.

The whole benefit system is complex and confusing.

You need the right information and the correct decisions to make. Something the community can help with.

Please ask.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Scooot09XXX and a very warm welcome to the community! I will move this discussion to the Motability, Blue Badges and disabled motoring board and hope people can help :)
    Scope

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is quite a bit of explanation about driving and the PIP questions about going out on the CAB site here that might help?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Scooot09XXX Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining.  Understand you are on depression medication.  I know it might be worth having a look at the DVLA website for the medication you are on.

I know you stressed you can drive and have mental health issues. To drive but you have said in your post you can drive on occasions.

My concern would be how fit mentally am I to drive on this medication is it effecting me.

Am on antidepressants. Know can not drive if sleepy says on the packet. So do not drive at night anyway..

Have anxiety and depression but know am OK according to DVLA website.  Asked my Doctor as well for advice.

There are different variants of mental health regarding depression.

Something myself have to admit now since losing my mobility part of the PIP. Does not concern me as I have no car.  Very soon.

May I suggest something to consider for yourself. Just a thought.

If you need to appeal we have a lot of information on our benefits. Please have a look . Also please speak to CAB  for anything further. Such as benefit advice and information.

Can be useful.  We are here as a community to give you support and help if we can Give you reassurance.

The whole benefit system is complex and confusing.

You need the right information and the correct decisions to make. Something the community can help with.

Please ask.

Take care

@thespiceman
    I am on 200mg Sertraline for depression as well as high doses of Morphine. My GP has told me that I should not drive but didn't say that I couldn't.
    I have decided to give up driving in following his advice.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Yadnad Thank you for mentioning me. I only put that on the post.  To the member concerned.  Care about our community members.

Do know a lot of the medications can effect driving and especially with mental health.

Have been told am OK to drive and looked on the DVLA website for some clarity.

I know myself have days where I am aware of my anxiety and depression .

Have to admit do not drive at night.

Even in daytime rarely drive too much hassle and traffic. So have lost the car but when and how will I cope will be in the first time.

Have to use taxi .  

Hope you are well.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.