ESA Backpay — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Backpay

jeanygem
jeanygem Community member Posts: 1 Listener
IF I WAS ON ESA WORK GROUP RELATED FOR 2 YEARS AND WAS PUT IN THE WRONG GROUP BY DWP. ONLY UNTIL MY SOCIAL WORKER WAS MADE AWARE BY ME HOW MUCH I WAS RECIVING. AND MY LETTER FROM ESA ASKING ME TO ATTEND A OFFICE AND .EXPLAIN WHY ID NOT BEEN ON ANY GROUPS IN THE TWO YEARS MY SOICAL WORKER WOULDN'T OF KNOWN WHAT ESA GROUP THEY PUT ME IN .SHE MADE ME AWARE THAT I SHOULD OF BEEN IN SUPPORT GROUP ALL THE TWO YEARS .THAT THEY PLACED ME IN A DIFFRENT GROUP AND HAD LOWER PAYMENTS .I Had A assesment in regards to my condition and group and they put me straight on SUPPORT GROUP .But never gave backpay am I intitled as it was there mistake putting me in wrong group for 2 years .any feed back I would appreciate thank you ?

Comments

• Adam_Alumni
    Adam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 164 Pioneering

Hi @jeanygem

The Government has published a document on the ESA underpayments which might be of interest to you. They say: 

"The Department is in the process of reviewing around 570,000 ESA cases that could be affected. It expects to complete the checking of 320,000 cases during 2018/19. The additional 250,000 cases, brought into scope by the Secretary of State’s announcement in July 2018 to pay all cases back to the point of conversion, are planned to be completed by the end of 2019." 

Our members will also be able to help you with this. I'm sure our members will also advise you on this.

I hope this helps. Do let us know if you have any other questions! 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

This doesn't sound like the underpayments concerning those that transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA.

When you have your first work capability assessment and you were placed into the WRAG, if at that time you didn't agree with the decision then you could have requested the Mandatory reconsideration then Tribunal if that failed. As it doesn't sound like you did that and just either had a review and you reported a worsening of condition. I'm afraid there won't be any backdated money for the 2 years which you were in the WRAG. The extra money for being in the Support Group will be paid from the date of the decision to place you into that group. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.