Drive from Wheelchair assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Drive from Wheelchair assessment

PaulineC
PaulineC Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2019 in Transport and travel
Good Afternoon all,

I wonder if anyone can offer any information or advice on drive from wheelchair driving assessment? My dad had an accident 3 years ago which means he now uses a powerchair and unable to transfer so he would like to try for drive from wheelchair vehicle. He has been for an assessment at Edinburgh, however they were unable to get him into the static rig for that part of the assessment!! 

The dvla have the report from the Edinburgh assessment centre and are going to give him a temporary license for 4 months during which time they want him to have instruction and assessment in a drive from wheelchair vehicle. Once this has been carried out the dvla will stamp his licence as fit to drive a vehicle with the appropriate adaptations. However I can't seem to find anyone that is able to offer this !

Does anyone have any details of who I could contact that could offer me more information?

many thanks
Pauline.

Comments

• Connie00
    Connie00 Community member Posts: 252 Pioneering

Hello @pau@PaulineC

My Name is Connie00

I am one off the community Champion’s here at Scope.  it’s really nice to meet you.

Welcome to the Community.

I have been looking into this for you and this lady might be able to give you the information you need

you could try https://www.smart.scot.nhs.uk/driving-assessment

I am not sure where you went for your assessment test, but I hope these will be able to help you

There is an email address which is Marlene.Mackenzie@nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk

if we can be of any further help please let us know.

Have a good day

@connie00

• PaulineC
    PaulineC Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Connie,

Thanks for the response. Yes, this was the assessment centre my dad attended,  but they could not assess for drive from wheelchair!! Thanks for pointing out the email address thought, that's useful to have.. i'll try emailing to see if they have details of who can do the drive from wheelchair part! 

many thanks,
    Pauline.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.