Employment and careers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

genetic condition and work

shambamshambam Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2019 in Employment and careers
hello!
I’m 46, female and I have a genetic condition which presents all kinds of problems.  For the last 10 years I’ve known that I have multi-level DDD which has got worse.  I have finally begun to accept my limitations. Feeling quite miserable about it at the moment as I found my perfect job three years ago but cannot see a way of continuing. 
Now waiting to see if the pain clinic can do anything for me. 

Replies

• Antonia_AlumniAntonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @shambam how are you doing today? 

I am sorry to hear this, it can be tough dealing with a health condition and work. Please do not feel alone in feeling this way, as many of our members will relate to you. Have you considered reasonable adjustments at work? 

I hope the pain clinic will be helpful. Please keep us updated :)
  • shambamshambam Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Antonia, 
    Thank you for welcoming me.  
    I have thought about reasonable adjustments. My tasks are quite varied at work so one area would be possible, others not possible. We are a team of two who run a very small charity and do everything between us. Nevertheless, it’s worth a try! 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shambam and welcome to the community! Reasonable adjustments may be a good route to go down. Have you spoken to the other person you work with? I really hope you can make things work :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
Sign in or join us to comment.