Can I get backdated carers allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I get backdated carers allowance?

needham1973
needham1973 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
hi I’m caring for friend have been for over year or so, she just got pip been awarded from last April been hard fight, would I get caress from that date last April, also what other top up can I claim please thanks 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @needham1973! Welcome to the community and I'm glad you managed to get onto the forum :)
    You are able to backdate carers allowance for up to three months if you are successful with the claim. You also can see what benefits you may be entitled to by filling out this form. I hope this helps and please do let me know if there is anything else I can do to help :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,925 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    Hi,

What other benefits does your friend receive and do they live alone?

If you claim Carers allowance for looking after them then this could affect their benefits but it will totally depend on what they claim.

Also, what other benefits, if any do you receive?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • needham1973
    Hi my friends ESA say been cancelled so housing benefits say so her housing suspense at moment she been on esa 4 years can they just do that but no letter from esa to say yet thanks 
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2019
    Hi my friends ESA say been cancelled so housing benefits say so her housing suspense at moment she been on esa 4 years can they just do that but no letter from esa to say yet thanks 
    Why has the ESA been cancelled? ESA isn't cancelled unless the claimant stops claiming. Were they found fit for work after a work capability assessment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • needham1973
    She at fill booklet in has been on 4 years but not had new assessment yet she had stroke just won pip few weeks ago thanks Tina 
  • poppy123456
    That still doesn't tell me why her ESA has been canceled. I won't be able to help without all the information. I'd advise her to ring DWP to ask why her ESA has been canceled.

One thing that comes to my mind... did she fail to attend a work capability assessment?
  • needham1973
    No she not been sent for capability assessment she was in support group 
  • poppy123456
    But why was her ESA cancelled? There has to be a reason for this. I can't help you unless i know why. She needs to ring DWP to ask why this has happened.
  • needham1973
    Ok no problem thank u 
  • needham1973
    Hi every time ring careers allowance can never get answer, been 6 weeks just wondered were my claim up to any idea please 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @needham1973, I'm really sorry you are not getting answers, this must be so frustrating! What have they been saying to you?
    Scope

• poppy123456
    Hi every time ring careers allowance can never get answer, been 6 weeks just wondered were my claim up to any idea please 
    It can take 8-12 weeks for carers allowance to be put into payment. Sometimes it can take them a while to answer the phone, try ringing early in the morning as they open at 8.
  • needham1973
    Ok thanks I try ringing 8 in morning thanks 
  • poppy123456
    What other benefits are you claiming?
  • needham1973
    None at this moment in time person I’ve been caring for won pip from last April, not sure if I get Carer’s from that date 
  • poppy123456
    Have you been working and earning more than £123 per week after deductions during that time? or been a student?  If you have then you won't be able to claim carers allowance.

• needham1973
    Good morning I called carers allowance yesterday said possessing my claim now, does that mean I get payment soon thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

I'm afraid it's impossible to answer that question. You will need to ring them again to ask them that. Once your claim has been processed and a decisions been made they will write to you with all the details.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.