Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ESA Overpayment Under Caution Interview

lpglpg Member Posts: 15 Listener
Hello
DWP is asessing my ESA. It seems I have been overpaid, I have £12.000 savings. I have sent the bank account details since 2014, last june. I have not yet received a letter of decision. Is it normal they take so long? 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

You'll need to ring DWP and ask what's going on and they will be able to tell you. I'm afraid we could only guess here what's happening. Hopefully you'll get some answers when you ring.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • surreyjj12surreyjj12 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi. Same thing has just happened to me.  Have they stopped any of your benefits whilst you've been waiting ?  Sorry to ask such a personal thing 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,924

Scope community team

edited August 2019
    Hi @lpg, have you had any decision yet?

Hello @surreyjj12 and a warm welcome to the community. :) Have they contacted you at all? From other members posts they do seem to suspend benefits payments while reviewing the possible overpayment. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
    Thank you. ... had no contact as of yet - have to take 5 years worth of bank statements back to them on tuesday...
  • lpglpg Member Posts: 15 Listener
    Hi all.  I called on 09 August.  They told me they were assessing my esa, and that i would have news in two weeks.  But I still haven't received any letter of decision.  I feel ill, can't sleep. 
    Hopefully it won't be too much longer.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lpg I'm really sorry to hear that it is affecting your sleep and health. I understand how stressful it can be to wait for a decision. Have you found anything that helps you?

I really hope you are not waiting too long and please do keep us updated. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    No news, yet, I'm exhausted! I called today they said they need two more weeks, as no decision is made yet. Now it is more than two months. Do you know how long does it take for a decision about overpayments?

There's no timescales for any decisions. Are you still receiving payments for your ESA or have they suspended payments?
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately there are no timescales but I really hope it is not much longer! 
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    I so feel for you.  I've handed in my 5 year statements today . what annoyed me was the guy wasnt even there .... like you I've not slept ,can't eat, any help/advice would be appreciated.  tia
    I so feel for you.  I've handed in my 5 year statements today . what annoyed me was the guy wasnt even there .... like you I've not slept ,can't eat, any help/advice would be appreciated.  tia
    Hi,

What help and advice would you like? Could we have some more information to be able to help you please?
    Just wondered if esa payments were stopped whilst  investigation / decision was made ? Also , bit confused about sanctions too ?
    in my case DWP has not yet stopped the payments, I submitted my bank accounts in 28th June and still waiting for a decision letter.

Thank you for your reply. X
    lpg said:
    in my case DWP has not yet stopped the payments, I submitted my bank accounts in 28th June and still waiting for a decision letter.

It's unlikely that they will be stopped now. Are you still receiving the same money, or reduced payments? Of course any overpayment will need to be repaid back and if the change of circumstances was reported when they should have been then you may have a fine on top of the overpayment.

What advice would you like about sanctions?
    Basically what are sanctions ? How does it work ?  sorry .... not being thick ,just a lot to get my head around ...
    A sanction is when you haven't done something you're supposed to do. This won't apply to you. If you didn't report changes in circumstances and you had savings you didn't report that were over the amount you should have then they will reduce your ESA accordingly depending on how much savings you have.
Sign in or join us to comment.