Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Concerns haven't been addressed
Hi everyone, not really sure what I'm hoping for posting this but here goes. 5 years ago I had a ruptured brain aneurysm which was coiled, they found 5 other aneurysms which have been left alone for now, a couple of months later I developed hydrocephalus and had a shunt fitted(with magnets) on the whole I have made a good recovery. I go every 2 years for an MRI scan to check that the other aneurysms haven't grown and I always have to phone beforehand to let them know that someone needs to be available to reset my shunt after the scan, when I phoned before my last scan in May 2018 the lady I spoke to said I was booked in to go in their new scanner but due to the type of shunt I had I could never go in that 1 as it was too powerful and could damage my shunt, she said she would make sure the MRI department knew about this. I had my scan and went to have my shunt reset which is a quick procedure and only takes about 10 seconds, I have never had a problem with the shunt being reset. 7 hours later I was still there because despite several people trying no-one could reset my shunt, the machine was deemed as faulty and I was asked to go back the following week(120 mile round trip) as they said they would have another machine by then I did this and again no joy, I told them what I had been told about not being able to go in the new scanner and asked for someone to confirm I hadn't been put in it and I have requested that information numerous times in the last 20 months without ever getting a reply. It now turns out that I need to have a new shunt put in on the other side of my head and because the faulty 1 is overdraining I have masses of tangled blood vessels on my spinal cord which is highly dangerous and will require surgery and radiation. I am furious that this has happened and even more annoyed that my concerns haven't been addressed.
- 52.9K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 148 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 574 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 276 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 673 Chronic pain and pain management
- 699 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 926 Mental health and wellbeing
- 297 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.