Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers allowance

peklamspeklams Member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm in receipt of pip standard rate, my sister needs a carer she is on high rate ESA and pip and entitled to a carer, can I claim carers allowance for being her carer 

Replies

• wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,294 Disability Gamechanger
    @peclans, hello and welcome. To claim carers allowance goggle carers allowance and read all about the criteria for claiming the allowance. 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    peklams said:
    I'm in receipt of pip standard rate, my sister needs a carer she is on high rate ESA and pip and entitled to a carer, can I claim carers allowance for being her carer 

HI and welcome,

That will depend on your circumstances. If you work and earn more than £123 per week then you won't be able to claim carers allowance. Also if you're a student then you won't be able to claim it.

You also need to check what benefits your sister is claiming. If she's claiming the severe disability premium in with her ESA then you claiming carers allowance will mean this premium will stop and she will lose £65.85 per week. Please check exactly what she's claiming before you do anything else.

If someone is claiming carers allowance already for looking after her then you won't be able to claim it for yourself.

Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,954

Scope community team

Hi @peklams. I hope all the information given has helped, but if you do have any other queries please don't hesitate to ask. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
Sign in or join us to comment.