Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


Poppy12Poppy12 Member Posts: 66 Connected
Hello can I get an application form for my son who is 8 year old with social and emotional issues and an underline diagnosis he's been referred to see a pieditrition but that will take weeks. He's on the special needs register. 


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,156 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Poppy12 I am a community champion here at scope. I would go ahead and get an application form as there is nothing to lose. An award is not based on diagnosis but how your sons condition affects him on a daily basis. If you need any support in the application please get in touch. Good luck with what you decide to do
  • Poppy12Poppy12 Member Posts: 66 Connected
    Thanks alot but do I need to ring them up as I'm not good at that 
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,156 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi you can claim over the phone or complete an online claim form, they can be found on the GOV.UK website. Just google how do I claim DLA for my child and this should take you to the right page. Hope this helps  
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    To claim DLA for a child you need to show they need more care and attention than that of a child the same age that doesn't have a disability. You'll need evidence to support a claim.

    Ringing them to request a form is the best way to start a claim because by doing this, they stamp the form with the date and if awarded it's backdated to that date.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • wheatleyuswheatleyus Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi Here is a link to filling out the DLA form. 
     It is useful to request a copy of the form via the telephone as the claim if successful is back dated to the date of the request. This can be handy as it can take you up to a few weeks to fill out the form.
    You can then use the digital file to complete the application and send it in with one that was mailed out to you. Send copies of all the reports you have and indicate that you are waiting for further diagnosis. Fill out the mobility part if your child have issues with safety awareness, runs off etc. 
    Hope this helps.
  • Poppy12Poppy12 Member Posts: 66 Connected
    Thankyou very much 
Sign in or join us to comment.