SSP and council tax deduction — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

SSP and council tax deduction

Rosie1966 Member Posts: 1 Listener
I’m currently off sick and I’m getting paid at the moment but when I get SSP will I get a council tax deduction. I won’t be going back to work I don’t think. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,885 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    Claiming council tax reduction will depend on your circumstances such as household income and who you live with. As all local councils have their own criteria then i won't be able to advise you on this and you'll need to apply with your local council.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rosie1966 - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. I'm sorry you're off sick & thinking about finishing work. I hope you find out about any council tax deduction from your local council, and please do let us know if there's anything we might be able to help you with. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rosie1966 Welcome to the community its nice to see new members here. Im sorry to hear you are off sick at the moment and hope you get some advice from your council regarding council tax reduction 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can't help I will
  • Ails
    Ails Member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rosie1966 and welcome to the Community also from me.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm really sorry to hear too that you are currently off sick and may not return to work.  I hope you have found Poppy's advice to be helpful and hope the council can give you some information about a council tax reduction.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.  If there is anything further we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.