carers allowence? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

carers allowence?

nightwars Member Posts: 12 Listener
im 27 and have pip and esa, can i move into sheltereed/assisted living or if i move with my boyfriend can he get carers allowence?


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,280 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined us.

    If you move in with your boyfriend it would depend on circumstances if he could claim carers allowance eg does he care for you for at least 35 hours a week, does he work if so are his earnings below the permitted amount

    If you are on any means tested benefits moving in together could also affect these and you would claim as a couple

    I suggest you go through benefits calculator and enter all your detauls to see what you can claim

    As for moving into sheltered housing I am not too sure but other members will be able yo advise more
    Here to help with my experience in hunan resources and employment rights 
  • nightwars
    nightwars Member Posts: 12 Listener
    he works fulltime on night shifts
  • Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Member Posts: 225 Pioneering
    Been sat waiting waiting on phone for DWP to answer been an hour already grrrrrrrrr xx
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,280 Disability Gamechanger
    If he works full time then he wont be able to claim carers allowance for you, and also his income could affect your ESA depends what type of ESA you get, it will not however affect your PIP.

    As suggested use the benefits calculator on the gov website to enter both your details 
    Here to help with my experience in hunan resources and employment rights 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,801 Disability Gamechanger

    No he won't be able to claim carers allowance for looking after you because he works full time.

    As mentioned in your other thread here you'll need to speak to DWP to ask exactly what ESA you're claiming because if all of it is Income Related then this will end when you mive in with your partner.

    Whether you'll be able to claim Universal Credit as a couple will depend on your partners earnings.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.