Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Finding A Grant For a Disabled Child
Where can I get a grant during these difficult times?? I am supporting a family of a disabled 12yr old boy. He has outgrown his running/cycling stroller and as his disease has progressed he also needs more support for his trunk and head. Being able to go outdoors with his dad who jogs with him in the stroller or takes him into the countryside is such a wonderful experience for him. He has lost the ability to speak but his vocal sounds demonstrate how much he is enjoying this experience. We don't want him to be stuck indoors in his wheelchair so would like to secure a grant for him to get the adult stroller but it's very expensive. The family have managed to get a grant from one small charity but they have a £1400 shortfall as the stroller is very expensive. A lot of the grant providers eligibility criteria states they must be on benefits but the only benefit they have is DLA for their son. Does anyone know of any charities that I could approach? My first thought was The Family Fund but their criteria is that the family have to be on a low income and in receipt of benefits. I hope someone can help as it would mean the world to this family if they could continue giving their son some much needed outdoor leisure experiences. Many thanks in anticipation of your help. I've found this site so fantastic when asking for advice and information.
- 52.8K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 148 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 755 Work and employment
- 574 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 275 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.1K Talk about money
- 2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 673 Chronic pain and pain management
- 697 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 748 Autism and neurodiversity
- 923 Mental health and wellbeing
- 297 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.