Creation of Holiday Cottages for people with disabilities.
Hi - We live on a farm near Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire and I intend to convert our barn to set up 3 holiday let apartments for disabled people. Leicestershire is a very pretty rural county and our listed outbuildings will make an attractive rural retreat with the advantage of full disabled facilities. Each apartment will have a bed sitting room with hoist rails, disabled access kitchen, wet room and a carer’s bedroom should it be needed. They will all have a veranda and wheelchair access to landscaped gardens with, cut flowers / veg to pick and hens from which to collect eggs. I have obtained planning permission and am currently applying for EU grant funding towards some of the build costs.
Both my son (born with chromosome abnormality) and mother (severe stroke 11 years ago) are unfortunately disabled, hence my knowledge of the lack of suitable holiday accommodation available.
At present I am investigating the need and interest in such
a facility in our area and wondered if you could possibly reply to a few
questions below as part of the grant process? Please delete as necessary and add
any further comments you wish .
Would such a holiday let in rural Leicestershire be an attractive possible holiday destination Yes / No
Do you find it difficult to find suitable disabled holiday accommodation? Yes/No
Is it helpful to have a separate carer’s room?
Yes / No
Would a price of £80 - £100/ night be considered acceptable
for a 2 bed apartment? Yes/
If not, what price might be acceptable? Is it too low? £ .
Might they consider using it all year
round? Yes / No? If Yes then why ?:-
Any other helpful ideas / comments you might
Thanks very much for your help.
- 54.2K All Categories
- 10.6K Start here and say hello!
- 5.1K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities
- 156 Community updates
- 12.1K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 799 Work and employment
- 590 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 293 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 266 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.7K Talk about money
- 2.2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.6K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.6K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.1K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 688 Chronic pain and pain management
- 708 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 759 Autism and neurodiversity
- 939 Mental health and wellbeing
- 311 Sensory impairments