Hi, I'm harry1978! I have spina bifida, and am recovering from addiction. Can anyone relate? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm harry1978! I have spina bifida, and am recovering from addiction. Can anyone relate?

harry1978
harry1978 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hey im harry I have spina bifida n om a blues guitarist who's in recovery from alcohol n cocaine just wondered anyone else go down that road im clean n sober 2 years 

Comments

• harry1978
    harry1978 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Im harry have spina bifida im a blues guitarist in recovery from drink n coke anyone else's demons take them down that road im sober n clean 2 years 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Welcome to the community @harry1978! We're glad you've found us.

Congratulations on your 2 year sobriety- what a fantastic achievement :) 

I like blues music, but I don't listen to it enough. What's your favourite blues song? Another user started a thread on music that you might like to join in with.

I can see that you've made another discussion that looks like it covers the same points as this one, so I've deleted it. I've moved this post into the disabled people category too.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @harry1978 welcome on board 

Well done fantastic work being clean for 2 years keep up the good work 

Not aware of other members in the same situation but I am sure there will be members who can support you 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @harry1978 welcome on board 

Well done fantastic work being clean for 2 years keep up the good work 

Not aware of other members in the same situation but I am sure there will be members who can support you 

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi @harry1978, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles but well done for staying clean for two years (have I understood that correctly?)
    Most people do need a distraction from pain or other problems. We all react in a different way but it's important for us to find constructive, rather than destructive ways to help us make our way forward.
    Thankfully, I find solace in my artwork, though I've been feeling very unwell for several months now and have not been able to do much at all. 

I'm sure that your positive way forwards lies in your musical talents. I'm very impressed that you can play the guitar!!!! I hope you find ways to connect with other musicians and make good use of your gifts. 
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi @Tori_Scope, I think you also just deleted my reply to @harry1978's post! I'm too exhausted to write it out again! 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,301 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @harry1978

I had a problem with drinking. I was drinking to cope with my issues - about 18 months ago I was drinking about a bottle of spirits a night. I am not teetotal. I still drink but I drink for enjoyment now, not out of necessity. I probably drink a little bit more than I should even now, but I enjoy it and I don’t have much other pleasure in my life, so I am not too worried. I have never touched drugs because I know if I did I would have a problem with them, just like I did with the drink. I’m scared of them basically. 

Really well done on being sober for 2 years. That is a fantastic achievement and I bet you saved a hell of a lot of money as well!!!!

That is really cool that you are a guitarist despite your disability. We also also love blues music in our family and I would love to hear some of yours if you have any posted up on the internet? :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Update edit: I've now merged the threads together, so that all the comments will appear here. Apologies for the confusion everyone!

Ah apologies @Oxonlady! I couldn't see any any comments on there when I deleted the discussion, so it must not have updated yet. I've restored the previous discussion, which is here.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.