Hi,I'm missnikkib77! My son has autism, but he's not getting support from the school. Any advice? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Hi,I'm missnikkib77! My son has autism, but he's not getting support from the school. Any advice?

missnikkib77
missnikkib77 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 22 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi! 
I'm a single parent of a lovely young man named Jacob, 22, and a lovely younger man named Daniel.
Daniel recently turned 18, and he is diagnosed as autistic, none verbal and has a severe sensory perception disorder. 
He has been home with me since day one of lockdown, and he needs constant 24/7 support and supervision. 
He's recieved no input from education, nothing on his ehcp has been adhered to, and I have nearly totally broke down. I've had no support whatsoever until we hit crisis point due to my own ill health. 
Only emergency help is available, and once you hit crisis I'd say that's too late! 
Anyone have any advice? 
My son isn't returning to his school now, due to his progress at home being amazing by the way, despite it having a knock on effect to my own health. 

Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Sorry you are not getting any support for your son a familiar story during these times unfortunately 

Have you contacted social services regarding support or care needs 

You can refer for care needs assessment on the Gov website and you will get ot who will advise of any needs for you and your son 

Also may be worth an email to you local mp about your concerns or contacting cab 

We do have section on here parents and carers which may have some advice 

I hope you get something sorted 
    I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can't help I will

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.