Some advice please about the one off £500 benefit payment — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Some advice please about the one off £500 benefit payment

Muppets69 Member Posts: 58 Connected
My mate is claiming esa and pip like me and she says we be getting the one of payment of 500 because we on severe disabled premium but i said no can any one help please 


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,112 Disability Gamechanger

    The payment is only for those claiming working tax credit or child tax credit and mot for esa or PIP 

    So no you won't be eligible unfortunately 
  • Muppets69
    Muppets69 Member Posts: 58 Connected
    Thanks i thought that my friend send me a thing on line and if your claiming servere disabled premium so thought id ask thank you forbyour reply janer1967 x
  • dfs050365
    dfs050365 Member Posts: 36 Listener
    Im on esa and pip, didnt get no 500 pounds. Mind unless you know the ins and outs you wont know.
    You could ring and ask but that takes an hour or so. Plus I find the stutter in the message a bit annoying.
    Im surprised you cant email, contacting them is getting difficult.

  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,412

    Scope community team

    edited April 2021
    Hi @Muppets69

    it's good to see you've had your question answered by @janer1967 and for your info, I've tweaked the title of this post and moved it to our 'What benefits am I entitled to?' category to help others who might have the same question.

    For those who want to learn more about eligibility of the £500 payment, please visit this government webpage, which advises:
    If you’re part of a working household that receives tax credits, you may be eligible for a new one-off payment of £500. The new payment is being introduced to provide extra support when the temporary increase in Working Tax Credit ends as planned on 5 April 2021.
    You may get a one-off, tax-free payment of £500 if, on 2 March 2021, you were getting either:
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Child Tax Credit and were eligible for Working Tax Credit but you did not get a payment because your income is too high to get Working Tax Credit payments
    You do not need to contact HMRC or apply for the payment. HMRC will contact you by text message or letter in April to confirm you are eligible.
    If you are eligible, you should get your payment direct to your bank account by 23 April 2021. You will not see the payment on the online tax credit service.
    The payment is non-taxable and will not affect your benefits. You do not need to declare it as income for Self Assessment tax returns or for tax credit claims and renewals.
    @dfs050365 I'm not sure what you mean by a stutter in the message but I hope the above clarifies why you may/may not be eligible for the payment. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.