Disability Leave / Contractual Sick Pay — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Disability Leave / Contractual Sick Pay

Starkey77
Starkey77 Member Posts: 11 Connected
edited May 5 in Work and employment
Hi, I’ve been notified by my employer that I will be going to half pay at the end of the month as the 6 month date has been triggered. 2 months of this was when I had my bilateral bone anchored hearing aids fitted. My question is, could / should this have been entered as disability leave and would this stop the clock with regards to contractual sick pay moving from full to half pay?

Thank you.
Starkey
Tagged:

Comments

• mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,776 Disability Gamechanger
    Depends entirely on the employers disability policy but generally sick leave is sick leave and disability is a specific thing which needs to be requested and approved. If approved it ought to be recorded separately but that is largely only relevant for redundancy purposes. It’s not routine to insert a period of disability leave into a period of sickness absence though. They are usually discrete things.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 12,735 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

As Mike says it is all down to company policy as employers are not required to pay any sick pay at all other than statutory sick pay even for absence relating to a disability

So the fact you have a scheme paying 6 months full pay is generous in itself 

I have professional experience in HR within public,  private, and charity sectors.  If I can help I will 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.