Hi, please I need help with understanding disabled facilities grant — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, please I need help with understanding disabled facilities grant

Jucihart
Jucihart Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community Feel free to join in or ask any questions 

Hope to see you around 
  • Jucihart
    Please I do need help with understanding Disabled Facilities Grant - I just did an assessment and was told I didnt qualify because my contribution is more than the grant. From their assessment, I am expected to contribute £39,000, meanwhile my annual income is £27 and savings is £1500. The adaptation required is less than the maximum grant of £30,000. I do not understand how I am expected to contribute £39k with annual income of £27k. Pls help
  • Jucihart
    edited July 2021
    Hi all, Please I do need help with understanding Disabled Facilities Grant - I just did an assessment and was told I didnt qualify because my contribution is more than the grant. From their assessment, I am expected to contribute £39,000, meanwhile my annual income is £27 and savings is £1500. The adaptation required is less than the maximum grant of £30,000. I do not understand how I am expected to contribute £39k with annual income of £27k. Pls help
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jucihart - & welcome to the community. Scope has some info on a DFG, which does say that it's means tested for adults: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/disabled-facilities-grant-home-adaptations/
    However, the government's website does say you can appeal this: https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants/how-to-claim
    I hope that may help you, but others may have more ideas.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Jucihart

Welcome to the community, it's super to see you join us and I hope you are enjoying the warm weather. 

The disabled facilities grant isn't always easy to understand, but I hope the links provided above will help to clear up your confusion. 

Just to let you know, I have edited the title of your post somewhat to make it clearer for other members to understand the subject and question.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.