If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

ESA to pension gap

Options
marymac65
marymac65 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I am on income related esa. This stops on 18/10/21 when I turn 66y. However my pension will not be paid until 4xweeks later, so I am worried about how I will live those 4x weeks and also concerned housing benefit will not pay those 4x weeks rent.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,130 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @marymac65 afternoon and welcome to scope.
    You can still ask for your SRP to be paid every week or two weeks, I assume you have informed the DWP that you are approaching SRP age?

2024 Election won

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Housing Benefit should continue although local authority will need to review the award to take account of your changed income.
    Are you single or part of a couple?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi @marymac65

A very warm welcome.

It’s time to get all of your ducks, lined up in a row.

I would suggest, in the first instance you should seek a State Pension Forecast. Which is simple to do by calling tel: 0800 731 0175 ( you will need your NI number to hand).

You will receive the forecast about two weeks later.

You will receive a letter about your state pension payment date, about 3 months prior to your retirement age. The DWP will offer you the opportunity of deferring this date, to some time in the future. Unless you are living in an off shore tax haven, I would decline this offer.

You then decide the frequently you wish to have your pension paid,  weekly, two weeks or monthly.

I would strongly recommend that you speak to Age UK helpline tel: 0800 055 6112, about what other benefits, might be available, such as Pension Credit/Savings Credit.

Please keep us informed, so we can assist you further.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,130 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @atlas47 the OP is already only 2 months away from drawing their pension, whilst its unlikely they are living in an offshore tax haven i'm puzzled as to how you can know that deferring drawing their SRP is a bad idea?

2024 Election won

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    atlas47 said:
    .. The DWP will offer you the opportunity of deferring this date, to some time in the future. ..
    To be clear the pension has to be claimed, so is deferred by default if not claimed.
    atlas47 said:
    I would strongly recommend that you speak to Age UK helpline tel: 0800 055 6112, about what other benefits, might be available, such as Pension Credit/Savings Credit.
    Savings Pension Credit no longer exists for people reaching pension age since 6th April 2016.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.