Does anyone else with an invisible illness/disability get 'it's just an excuse' as a comment? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone else with an invisible illness/disability get 'it's just an excuse' as a comment?

Options
Adeblue13
Adeblue13 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
For those who have Invisible Illnesses/Disabilities do you often get ‘it’s just an excuse’ as a comment I do and I often don’t get believed and have to prove everything and get called lazy a lot. Thank you for reading my message.
Adrianne 

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have experienced that too from people who should know better. I just ignore it.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• snailpace
    snailpace Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    @leeCal I too have experienced this from people who should of known better and although I ignore it really does hurt.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have both visible and non visible 

People presume the visual one is my only disability and yo be honest the invisible ones restrict my life just as much 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My disability is on a need to know basis which is drs work and family nobody else business thats all I can say lol ? 
  • Adrian74
    Adrian74 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    Get that feeling a lot the looks the eye rolling etc... wouldn’t wish my chronic nerve pain on anything but just sometimes i wonder what others would feel if they felt my pain.
  • snailpace
    snailpace Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    @Adrian74, I know what you mean, I wouldn’t wish any illness on anyone, but would like to know how they would deal with my condition and health conditions.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My condition is invisible, as far as what other people think I really couldn't careless. B)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• cjcsimpson
    cjcsimpson Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    This is common for me especially with being young , horrible feeling mate

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.