My mum gets ESA and disability income guarantee high rate. Can I apply for carers allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My mum gets ESA and disability income guarantee high rate. Can I apply for carers allowance?

Options
gkatwal
gkatwal Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My mum is currently on Esa and she gets the disability income guarantee high rate can I go ahead and apply for cares allowance as I've been caring for her for while now full time thanks

Comments

• gkatwal
    Options
  • gkatwal
    Options
    My mum is currently on Esa and she gets the disability income guarantee high rate can I go ahead and apply for cares allowance as I've been caring for her for while now full time thanks
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gkatwal - & welcome to the community. If your Mum gets Income Related ESA & is in the support group, then this enhanced disability premium/disability income guarantee can be added to this. In that situation you wouldn't be eligible for the Carer's Allowance.
    If your Mum is in the WRAG with income related ESA, then this premium/guarantee is paid if she's also in receipt of either the enhanced rate of PIP for daily care, or the high rate for care with Disability Living Allowance. In this situation you would be eligible for Carer's Allowance if you meet the other criteria. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility
  • gkatwal
    Options
    Hey she already receives the premium disability with the Esa can I apply for a cares allowance or she has to be in receipt of other benefits 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your Mum would need to be also getting one of the following for you to be eligible to claim CA:
    • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
    • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
    • Attendance Allowance
    There are a few other benefits in the link above, but these are the main ones.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.