Hi, I'm spurs999! Can I claim carers allowance for myself? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm spurs999! Can I claim carers allowance for myself?

Options
spurs999
spurs999 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
my wife is mearnt to be my carer but she dont really care for me as such.can i claim it for myself even though i get pip as i have menal health issues therefore the carers money if i could get it could go towards private help with trying to help to make me better well maybe get better need a person who can cure my panic attacks etc.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,283 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    Unfortunately, you can’t claim carers allowance for looking after yourself. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @spurs999 and a warm welcome to our community.  How are you today?

I've amended the title of your thread to help others spot your question, and hope I'm right in thinking you're referring to carers allowance and if you're entitled to payment rather than your wife?  Please let me know if I've misinterpreted your words so I can correct :)

You can't claim carer's allowance for yourself I'm afraid, rather it is open to individuals who look after someone for 35 hours+ a week, dependent on other qualifying criteria.  See this government webpage for more details.  

Have you talked to your wife about any unattended needs you have that she can help with?  Also, have you spoken with your GP about your panic attacks and options open to you in terms of getting help?  

You can refer yourself online to your local Improving Access to Psychological Therapies service who will carry out an assessment and explore treatment options with you too, i.e. counselling and CBT although there are unfortunately lengthy waiting times to be seen.  Do you have any coping strategies for your panic attacks at the moment?  

I hope you have a nice rest of the day and please ask away with any other questions you might have.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.