My new book entitled "Mixed Blessings" — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My new book entitled "Mixed Blessings"

Slmhill2000Hill
Slmhill2000Hill Community member Posts: 7 Connected
edited November 2021 in Coffee lounge
Hi Friends,

I just wondered if my story could be of interest to anyone.  I am 54 now, and I have recently published my personal memoir on Amazon.

I was born in 1967 with severe CP.  Of course, things for disabled people have advanced a great deal since then, but I wanted to write my story in order to encourage other families who may be travelling a similar path to ours.  My story recalls both touching and fun times attending The Victoria School: a lovely special school in Northfield Birmingham, and then I went on to Dudley College to study I.T., English, Cookery & Art.  I now live in a quiet coastal region of Scotland.

Anyway, I wish you all the best with whatever situation you may find yourselves in, and I really hope you find something in my memoir to help or cheer you along.

My warmest wishes, Sonya

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,708 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Slmhill2000Hill congratulations on publishing your memoir. I will look for it and have a nosy. Sounds a good read.
  • Slmhill2000Hill
    Hi Sandy,

Thank you so much for your message.  I hope my story will be something that interests you or helps you in some way.

Have a great day!  Sonya  :smiley:
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Hello

Just to say congrats on getting published. I have always wanted to write a book. Did you self publish and how did you find the process? 

I hope the book sales on Amazon are going well.  
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • Slmhill2000Hill
    Hi Reg,

Thanks for the message.

Yes, I did self-publish, but it was an awful lot of work and extremely difficult for a number of reasons -

First, I can only operate my computer with one thumb, so this makes my typing very slow.

Also, I'd never done this before and as anyone who self-publishes with Amazon will find out, there is no one complete publishing guide, so it was a case of looking online and gradually building up an idea of what to do.  

Finally, I also designed my own book cover.  For this I downloaded a template, but all the measurements were in American, so had to be converted to UK.

All in all it was a real headache, so I really hope people like it.

Have a nice day anyway,
    Sonya
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Slmhill2000Hill

Wow, what a great achievement! I hope you are feeling proud of yourself. I am sure all of your time and energies put into it will be greatly received. It already seems to have gained much positive attention on Scope's forum  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Slmhill2000Hill
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    What an amazing achievement, @Slmhill2000Hill :) 

It must have taken a lot of work to create your own book, but I can imagine that you're so proud of it. I would be! How long did the writing process take?
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Slmhill2000Hill
    edited November 2021
    It took me many years, as I can only type with one thumb.  However, I was really hoping it may encourage parents, who may have a small child with CP, as I think it includes a lot of useful tips which may help them.  This was really one of my main thoughts behind sharing my story with Scope - "Mixed Blessings" by Sonya L. M. Hill.  Now available on Amazon.  A perfect stocking filler  :p
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Aww, bless you @Slmhill2000Hill. So thoughtful too! <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.