Phone assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Phone assessment

hi could someone please help me understand I have been claiming universal credit as a joint claim but I have only just been told about the limited capability I claim pip both compartments are enhanced so how come I have only just been put forward and what do I need to qualify 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,533 Disability Gamechanger
    Receiving PIP has nothing to do with limited capability for work because people claim PIP and work. If your health condition limits your capability to work then you need to report your health condition onto your journal and then send in fit notes from your GP, this will then start the work capability assessment process off.
    You will then be referred for the work capability assessment, usually on day 29 and will then be sent forms to fill in and return with all your information and evidence.
    You will only receive extra money if found to have LCWRA, providing your partner doesn't already receive the LCWRA element on your claim.

  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 13,272 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

    To start the process you should first of all report the medical condition as a change in circumstances on your journal and provide a fit note within 7 days 

    After 28 days your work coach should then refer you for a work capability assessment 

    You will be sent uc50 form to complete and return and then wait for an assessment 

    The assessment report will go to decision maker and they will assess you as being either fit for work or limited capability or limited capability for work and work related activity known as lcwra 

    Only lcwra pays an additional element of uc of £343.63 per month 
  • claireturner365
    claireturner365 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I don’t work and I have always had and sent in sick notes my physical and mental illness is really bad because I went to universal credit I was on esa 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,746 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    I don’t work and I have always had and sent in sick notes my physical and mental illness is really bad because I went to universal credit I was on esa 
    Were you claiming ESA at the time you transferred to UC? If so, what ESA group were you in, the Work Related Activity Group or the Support Group?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Need to talk?

Over Christmas the online community might be a little quieter than usual, so if you need urgent emotional support or if you feel like you might be in crisis, please read up about how to stay safe for now and find help.

You can also speak to somebody in confidence by calling Samaritans on 116 123 for free or send an email to
[email protected]

Of course, if you feel like you might be at risk right now, please call 999 or visit your local hospital.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.