Income related ESA/contributions ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Income related ESA/contributions ESA

Rosie666 Member Posts: 7 Connected
Hi, I hope someone can help.  I have been on esa for many years.  For years the letters I received stated I was getting income related esa.  Then suddenly in 2018 I received a letter to inform me it was changing to contributions based esa.  Now the whole time and DWP knew about this I was in receipt of an inhertied pension from my late husband.  My fortnightly esa amount didnt change at all just the wording and I would like to uunderstand why? Many thanks


  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 6,133 Disability Gamechanger
    Might help if we knew how much ESA you were being paid and how much the inherited pension payments were?

    i'm out of here
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,854 Disability Gamechanger
    ESA letters are notoriously badly written and even if you know what they should say it can be very difficult to interpret them. It really isn't possible to comment on your situation based on the information you have provided. Did a letter actually say "your ESA is changing from income based to contribution based" or is that the way the letters are set out caused you to think it was previously income based but was now contribution based? Note that ESA awards can be a mix of contribution based and income based - in those circumstances DWP will generally describe the award as income based.

    How much ESA do you get a fortnight and how much is your pension income?

    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Libby_Scope
    Libby_Scope Posts: 755

    Scope community team

    edited January 13
    Hi @Rosie666 :) 

    I hope both @woodbine and @calcotti can help with your query. I will also move your comment into our Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) section, in the hope that more of our members will get back to you. 
    Online Community Information Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.