UC Housing Element — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC Housing Element

em444
em444 Community member Posts: 103 Connected

Hi All,

Still struggling to get a definite response from UC housing team.

My anxiety is through the roof 

I know its only a few days to wait for my UC statement to come through. Just feeling bit anxious, not knowing 😕 

Has anyone had their housing element backdated ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    As you didn't report the changes then it may not be backdated to when you moved into your property. The housing element should be added to your claim going forward so it should show on your next statement.
    If it's backdated that money will be paid separate to your usual UC payment. Before they can pay you, they will need to recalculate your past statements to work out exactly how much is owed. Therefore, it's unlikely that money will show on your next statement. 
    At this stage i think it's impossible to give you a definite answer because the only person that can answer that is a decision maker from DWP. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @em444 well done for reaching out. I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling anxious, that's very natural when you're waiting for an answer, but it won't be too long as you say. 

Do you have anything you do to help manage or cope with anxiety when you're feeling overwhelmed? Is there a loved one you could talk to about it? 

To help with the answer to your last question, I've marked your post as unanswered. I'm sure one of our members can advise you soon. 

If we can help with anything, let us know, we're here to support you :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    The appropriate housing element should be applied from the beginning of the assessment period in which it reporting your rent liability. There would need to be exceptional reasons for you not reporting it sooner for UC to backdate it to an earlier assessment period.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • em444
    em444 Community member Posts: 103 Connected
    On 3rd September, I was told our landlord was selling the house. Found a flat, and tenancy started on 9th October 2021.
    After signing, I couldn't move in until 13th November, because of damp and roofing work.
    I was so overwhelmed with the whole process of having to uproot after 6 years. And then  not being able to move straight away, I didn't report a change in circumstances until January 3rd 2022
    I explained to the DWP housing officer, that my tenancy should have started on 9th October, but because of issues, couldn't move in, straight away. She said right ok, and said make sure you put 9th October,  not 13th November. Because that's what is on your tenancy agreement. My UC assessment period, Is usually 26th to 27th, each Month. So hopefully will get something next month. Thanks for all your advice, so far.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.