Bad back — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bad back

Options
leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
I’ve managed to pull a muscle in my lower back somehow and have been in some pain lately especially when I try to stand upright and walk or bend slightly.

odd thing is I noticed some years ago that eating a banana helped ease the pain somewhat and loosen up the back muscle. So I’ve tried this again yesterday and today and it does seem to work. It lasts for several hours. 

has anyone else found this solution or perhaps has another which may help.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not heard of that bit will give it a try as I've had backache for couple of days nothing major just a niggle 
  • leeCal
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hi @janer1967 it might be worth a try, I wouldn’t eat one at night though because it may keep you awake.  Good energy food too you see. 🙂

this is an interesting article about why tennis players eat bananas between games, potassium rich too helps prevents cramps.
    https://mytennishq.com/why-do-tennis-players-eat-bananas-during-matches/

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,986 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Gosh I best buy a bunch for when mine goes.  Hopefully your back eases off, nothing worse
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @leeCal - I'm sorry you've hurt your back; there's nothing worse. My son had this happen to him a couple of weeks back, & I sent him the following video, which he found helpful. If you scroll down to the last video in this link (it's wrongly named) called exercises for sciatica- degenerative disc disease. Just do a little & often, & thank you for the banana tip. Please see: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/exercises-sciatica-problems/

• Danielle_2022
    Danielle_2022 Community member Posts: 266 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @leeCal,
    Thanks for the banana tip, that's not something I've thought of before! I find heat pads particularly helpful when I need to loosen a muscle.

Please keep us updated with how you're doing over the next couple of days, too :)
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    @chiarieds thanks for posting I know you've posted that one before. I did try it just now, was sirprised I could get in that position but I couldn't lift my legs up lol. 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @Sandy_123 - if you can just do the pelvic tilt exercise, & buttock squeezing that's fine. (my son did tease saying she really seems to enjoy saying 'squeeeeze'). Yes, I've posted before as it's the gentlest of mobilising exercises.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Yeah I'm going to go for 10 15 minute walks every day to build up too
  • leeCal
    Options
    Thank you everyone and thank you for the video @chiarieds , I’ll try the exercises later on. 
    My back is slightly better today but still sore and stiff, just had another banana though so here’s hoping. 🙂

― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    Options
    Thanks @Sandy_123, the former article also,said that the high potassium content helps loosen up muscles as well. Interesting stuff. Who knew.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Who knew indeed I think when I'm in a flare-up  ill be buying some
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,609 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @leeCal sorry to hear you have been in pain. Coincidentally I pulled a muscle in my back only a tiny bit today carrying something which was too heavy. I have never had back pain before and it wasn’t a nice feeling. I imagine if I multiply the pain in my head I can guess what a proper bad back is like, not nice. Thanks for the banana advice, I eat a lot of bananas, maybe why I hadn’t had back pain before :D 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @leeCal hope you're soon 100% fighting fit.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    Options
    Thank you everyone, after a few exercises gently done it’s feeling a little better. It usually takes a few days to pass, luckily I’m not working anymore so I can rest it.

whilst on the subject I would add that over the years I’ve found that a water bottle helps but only if it’s providing warmth not high heat. I’ve found that though high heat is great at first it actually damages more over the long term. I’d therefore recommend a warm water bottle only. (I used to pull a muscle practically every autumn when I worked so I have some experience on the subject).

Thanks again everyone for your kind concern. 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    Options
    Pleased you're feeling a little better leeCal. I have no idea if bananas will help with my genetic disorder, but nonetheless I will give them a try. Do keep moving about; don't sit too long. As Sandy mentions, walking is also good, as it's a rhythmic exercise. Hope you're feeling even better tomorrow.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was told to eat banana to combat side effects of a tablet I was taking for my eyes. I've never had such bad side effects couldn't eat , felt sick all time I was warned this may happen 

Was something to do with potassium level hence the banana recommendations 

Had to come off the tablets 

Glad your feeling a bit better and doing the exercise @leeCal
  • chiarieds
    Options
    We're all going to be 'going bananas.' :)
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi all any think is worth a try when you suffer with your back - banana's make sense, lot of natural remedies out there to try. I find cold gel pads help with my problems.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    With water bottles I tend to find having shower on hottest you can stand on the effected area on my back. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.