Upcoming spinal fusion surgery… — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Upcoming spinal fusion surgery…

Options
RABnTN
RABnTN Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I’m 62yo male.  4 years ago, missed last step on ladder & injured a 20yo L4-5 inter-body cage fusion.   Tried every possible non-surgical option but most recent scans were ugly & aligned with significant the increase of sciatica, IBS-C & the never-ending low back ache.   Can’t keep going as is & scheduled for lumbar (L5-T11)  posterior fusion on Mar23.  If anyone has experience with extended spinal fusion, I’d greatly appreciate any & all insights, positives and/or negatives, tell it like it is.  Thanks! 

Comments

• RABnTN
    Options
    Upcoming extended spinal fusion + web search = landing here for insight, advice & support.  Headed to “Chronic Pain” for exploration…best regards to all ya’ll…
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @RABnTN :) Thank you for joining, and for explaining a little about your situation.

I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience of this surgery. I've marked your post as unanswered so that other members will be aware you haven't had an answer to your query yet. 

I believe one of our other members, @sueheath, was asking about something similar recently, so perhaps you two could connect?  
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi RaBnTn welcome to the club - I am still waiting for my first fusion.
    Have i read this right - you have already had fusion, but you've damaged it ?
  • RABnTN
    Options
    Hi SueHeath,
      Yes, I had a successful, single level L4-5 inter-body cage fusion in 1998 with no problems until taking a fall in late 2017.   
      Over past 4+ years, I’ve un-successfully tried every option to avoid the knife but the worsening issues are from L4 to T12 so the fusion will cover six levels, L5 to T11.  
      Just hoping someone will share going through a similar type procedure in order to shape my expectations…or talk me off the ledge 😳 (just kidding but I am feeling quite a bit of angst) 

I send empathy because I know if you’re “waiting on a fusion”, you’re dealing with an ache/pain that NEVER goes away…and FWIW, my viewpoint- ANY surgery is a big deal and should be last resort in treatment options.  But when physical quality of life becomes consistently more negative than positive, it may be time…ONLY you will know when that is.    
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning,
    You certainly do know what it feels like and you expressed it so well.
    I am sure some one commented on mine when i first posted, some one who has been through a lot of this.
    I will scan through my post's, but hopefully you will get a comment or two.
    I will be following your progress, so keep us updated please.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.