If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC payment to closed bank account

Options
davidsmig
davidsmig Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited March 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Has anyone ever had a payment sent to a blocked/banned or closed bank account? 
I tried to change circumstances in my journal but I was too late
payment  was already processed to the closed account 

I’ve rang UC they said it’s been sent to that bank account. they understand the situation and said they have to wait for it to bounce back. So I rang the bank with a BACS number to track the payment they said It bounced back straight away and never entered the account

im just wondering how long will it take to bounce back to UC so they can send it to the new bank details. Was meant to get paid today and it’s my sons birthday if I don’t get help my 1pm I’m going to have to cancel his birthday party 

im with TSB bank 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,158 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hi,

There are no timescales. When you changed your bank details were you asked to attend your local job centre to confirm your new bank details? They won't send payment to a new bank account until this is done.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • davidsmig
    Options
    Hi,

There are no timescales. When you changed your bank details were you asked to attend your local job centre to confirm your new bank details? They won't send payment to a new bank account until this is done.
    Hello poppy thanks for replying as I’m really stressed 
    yes I went into job centre yesterday and confirmed my bank details so there it’s all up and running UC saying it COULD take up to 3 working days.. and my bank said up to 48hrs but could be a couple hours. Just want a Straight answer. Had to us ever happened to anyone else 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I honestly don't think you will get the straight answer you're looking for. Put a message onto your journal under the payment section and hopefully someone will see that today.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • davidsmig
    Options
    Was just wondering if it’s happened to anyone else and how long they had to wait??
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Even if somebody else responds that isn't going to tell you what will happen in your case. If UC have said up to three days that's what you need to allow and if not received by then chase again.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Even if somebody else responds that isn't going to tell you what will happen in your case.

Indeed, everyone's case will be different.
  • davidsmig
    Options
  • davidsmig
    Options
    I’m young and I’m new to this I don’t really understand how it works 
  • davidsmig
    Options
    And the only reason I’m upset is because it’s my sons 3rd birthday today I arranged a party for him and some of his cousins to attend but I’m going to have to cancel it it’s really really upsetting

otherwise I would just of waiting and not stressed out 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    DWP can't send the payment until the other one has been received back. Are you able to borrow some money from family or a friend until you have your payment? This way your son's party can still go ahead.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don't have to be sorry and realise how upset you will be 

Your son won't even notice or remember buf why don't you just have a little tea party invite the cousins and ask others to bring along some snacks with them 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,134 Scope online community team
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Have you managed to sort this out and received your money now. Did your son have a good birthday @davidsmig?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • rbbopa71
    rbbopa71 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi I'm going through  this now I changed banks and waiting for the Halifax to send money back to HMRC but in my journal they have said that I have withdrawn  the funds wich is absolute rubbish because the account is closed and they have put a default  on my credit file 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    rbbopa71 said:
    Hi I'm going through  this now I changed banks and waiting for the Halifax to send money back to HMRC but in my journal they have said that I have withdrawn  the funds wich is absolute rubbish because the account is closed and they have put a default  on my credit file 

Your question is confusing. You mention a journal and then mention HMRC. A journal refers to Universal Credit, which is administered by DWP and not HMRC.

Claiming any benefits will not have any impact on your credit file.
  • leejeff123
    leejeff123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi im just wondering if you solved the benefits going into your closed account I’m having the same problem a reply would be apreciated thankyou
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi im just wondering if you solved the benefits going into your closed account I’m having the same problem a reply would be apreciated thankyou
    The bank will send the payment back to DWP. Once they receive it then should issue another payment. I have no idea how long this will take. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.