Complete Novice

Options
nanaspain
nanaspain Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi, my 3yo granddaughter has recently come into my care and I’d like to know what financial support we can get in terms of extending our property so we have more room for her equipment. She has level 5 CP, fed by a feeding tube and has CVI. Her equipment includes standing frame, special chair, soon to be wheelchair, sensory tent, various sensory/sight equipment. Thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,306 Championing
    Options
    You can look at a Disabled Facilities Grant https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants/eligibility
    The first step for this would be to refer your granddaughter for a needs assessment. You can do that here.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Championing
    Options
    Hello there @nanaspain and a warm welcome to the community :) Thanks for explaining your query for us. How are you feeling about caring for your granddaughter?

I hope you'll find Poppy's reply helpful, I'd definitely encourage you to look into a needs assessment and a disabled facilities grant (DFG). 

Scope has information on grants home adaptions, if you'd like to read up on it further.

If there's anything else you need a hand with then please do let us know, and we'll do what we can to help out :) 
  • nanaspain
    Options
    Thank you Poppy, we have a OH visit booked in. I wasn’t sure of the criteria we’d need to meet. 

Hi Alex, thank you for asking how I’m feeling. Completely exhausted, overwhelmed, sad, happy, grateful, resentful and a little bit bored if I’m honest. Depends on the day/hour. I’m getting through one day at a time at the moment, not thinking too far ahead. It’s early days for us (4 weeks) so we’re still finding our way through the maze of health professionals and social workers. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Championing
    Options
    That's okay @nanaspain I don't have children myself, but I can imagine it will be a long and eventful journey :) You're taking positive steps to make sure your granddaughter is supported, but remember to look after yourself too.

I'm glad to hear you're meeting with an OH booked in, and I think it's very sensible to not look too far ahead, take it hour by hour if you need to!

If you ever need to set aside any time for yourself, you are welcome to explore the community, join in with discussions using our categories page, or get to know our members in the coffee lounge, where you can chat and play games.

Keep us up to date with how things go, and enjoy your evening! 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Championing
    Options
    Morning @nanaspain welcome to our great group.
    What a wonderful thing you are doing, 
    Just wanted to say don't feel bored come and see us in the coffee lounge were a friendly bunch, or have a look around the site, you are bound to find things of interest. Join in on any of the chats/threads or ask your own question.
    I think you will find the forum a very helpful and friendly place you will get all the support you want.
  • nanaspain
    Options
    Thanks Sue, Will do 😊
  • Justcheckingin15
    Justcheckingin15 Community member Posts: 370 Empowering
    Options
    You are doing a fab job @nanaspain, but remember to look after 'you' too.