Friend + partner. If they claim CA for her would there be a min floor income of FT hours on his UC?

Options
vikingqueen
vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,498 Championing
edited May 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
  Friend claims pip. Partner who doesn't live with her would like to know if they claim carers allowance for her would there still be a minimum floor income of full time hours on his universal credit. Hope I've explained that correctly as I know nothing about UC. Oh friend claims severe disability premium but knows she would have to give this up. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,310 Championing
    Options
    Claiming carers allowance while claiming UC doesn't make you financially better off because it's deducted in full from any UC entitlement. They can claim carers element, which would increase their maximum UC entitlement by £168.81 per month, providing the partner cares for the person for at least 35 hours per week.
    If they claimed carers element there would be no work commiments. The minimum income floor is only for those that are self employed. If the partner is employed as PAYE then the MIF doesn't apply.
    However, the SDP is £69.40 per week so it's an awful lot of money to lose.
  • vikingqueen
    Options
           Thank you very much poppy I will pass that reply on to them both I think most of the £69 she claims goes to her partner for helping one way or another. It was the work commitments that were confusing them I think. You have been very helpful.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,310 Championing
    Options
    Also to add further. My advice was assuming the partner doesn't claim either LCW or LCWRA for theirself.
  • vikingqueen
    Options
            I'll pass that last info to them thanks poppy.
  • vikingqueen
    Options
          Many thanks for that Alice, I will pass this on to them.